what is open neutral

I changed a plug and one of the plugs says open neutral when I put the tester in it. What does that mean open?

Reply to
Camoman

broken, not connected, missing, etc.....open. You have a bad connection somewhere.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

The black & green wires are OK. The white isn't.

Reply to
JeffM

I put the

it means the neutral wire is not connected, is loose, or broken...thats the white wire if the house is wired standardly and it probably is.

it means you have a hot feed (the black or red wire) but that it has no way flow electricity to the 'neutral' .. its this flow from the hot wire to the neutral (through your light or whatever) that does the work.

If your lights work, but the tester says 'open neutral'.. then a ground wire has been connected in place of the neutral.. that works..but it can be unsafe... time to call an electrician.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

It means 'open neutral' If you need to ask, you shouldnt be touching it.

Regards

Paul Miller iEng MIIE (elec)

Reply to
Paul Miller