What is the resistance of a cube

Reminds me of the story about the old 'Double-Sided' vs 'Single-Sided' floppy disks. Supposedly all manufactured the same way, those that passed on both sides were labeled 'Double-Sided' and sold for a higher price than those that failed one side and were thus labeled 'Single-Sided'.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

I think it is still true of CPUs. They're all made the same way, then tested. The ones that perform properly at the higher clock rates are then labelled that way, and sold at the higher prices.

BTW, who are the people who pay top dollar for today's top of the range speed, that becomes tomorrows totally obsolete version?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Not me, this is a P166 I am typing on

Reply to
Greg

I've just decided upgrade from a P3 600 to an P3 866 which I've bought second hand for $50. Mainly because the 600 only has a 100Mhz FSB, and I need a memory upgrade (Java is so memory thirsty). Turns out that buying a processor with a 133Mhz FSB means I save on the memory upgrade -

100Mhz memory is difficult to get now, and priced accordingly.

No doubt someone will tell me I could have underclocked the 600 clock, but overclocked its FSB. I wasn't sure that that would work, of if it did, that it'd be reliable.

Not that any of you wanted to know that.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

It's more or less still true, though with more twists. One can tweak the processing to produce higher yields at lower speeds, or more higher speed units at a reduced yield. One can similarly tweak the process to optimize for power and speed. If customers are ordering higher speed parts than your process wants to make, turn the knobs to produce what the customer wants. Productivity may suffer, but it beats having a lot of parts that no one wants.

The same ones that will buy tomorrow's "top of the range" part. ;-)

Reply to
krw

total resistance across corners is 0.8333 ohms.mathmatical solution availible on request Regards JohnB

Reply to
John Brindley