What is the symbol for a mic?

I want to write (by hand) if some voice recordings of mine are in mono or stereo.
Are there some standard symbols used for a mono mic and a stereo
mic?
Are there mono/stereo mic symbols used in schematic circuit diagrams which could be used?
--------------------------------
I've seen two overlapping circles used for stereo. But for some reason a mono mic is one circle PLUS a short bar
http://tinyurl.com/ykdar8p

That comes from an original design, a 'ball and biscuit' mic, where the ball was a magnetic former and container for a dynamic mic with voice coil, and the 'biscuit' was a pop shield to prevent plosives from speech affecting it badly at close range. The bar is the 'biscuit' seen edge on.
Your ideas for symbols seem ok to me, I can't think of better ones. Other symbols have been used, but staying with the ones you've seen is a good way to avoid ambiguous or unmemorable ones. (Although in a schematic, two circles overlapping can mean a constant current source so there's often something else implied by a simple symbol if the context changes.)
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Eddie wrote:

There are rarely stereo microphones. Usually just two microphones. Even when something has two microphone elements in close proximity, on a schematic they would appear as two microphones, since there would be two elements hooked up to separate circuitry.
Why not "M" for mono, "S" for stereo?
That's so much simpler than drawing a symbol, even if you had something that was standard.
Michael

http://library.thinkquest.org/10784/circuit_symbols.html

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, John Fields wrote:

But he wants something to indicate mono or stereo. I agree, that's a fairly standard symbol for a microphone, but he wants something to indicate stereo. And I would argue that an "M" is still simpler than drawing the mic symbol.
Michael
Michael Black wrote:

Simpler is irrelevant. It's all about clear communication, not about whether a symbol is easier or harder to draw.
If it is not a standard symbol, then the person looking at the schematic may not understand what the symbol is supposed to mean. D= is a mic symbol (when properly drawn) - there is no need to identify it as mono with an M, it already is mono. If you replace the symbol with an M, you still need to show the two legs. And someone could still mistake it - for example, maybe the "M" means meter. If you want to show a mic as stereo, then you have to show where the other two legs connect, so merely adding an S is not enough. And if you show it as just an S, someone might think it represents a sine wave.
Ed
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, ehsjr wrote:

Reread his post. He's talking about labelling recorded material, not drawing a schematic. What's relevant for a schematic is not relevant in this case.
Using letters or full words, "Mono" and "Stereo" fits the scenario far better than trying to find some imaginary schematic symbol for a "stereo microphone" which will take a lot more effort to draw for his purposes.
Michael

Michael Black wrote:

I was answering what you were talking about, which seemed to be schematics: "There are rarely stereo microphones. Usually just two microphones. Even when something has two microphone elements in close proximity, on a schematic they would appear as two microphones, since there would be two elements hooked up to separate circuitry."

Right. If it's just about labelling the recordings, then Mono or Stereo works well, and better than making up a symbol.
Ed

september.org:

Some people use labelling machines with basic graphic capability, or they print them from a computer onto a sheet of little paper labels. So if you only design it once you might as well do something that looks nice. I like my idea of combining the two overlapping cirles and the standard circle/bar symbol, as it's a simple design and seems to fit well with what the OP had in mind, AND is unambiguous enough for schematics and block diagrams too.
Lostgallifreyan wrote:

I have to tell you, I don't get it. 5 years down the road he may look at the symbol and wonder "whatinthehelldoesthatmean?" 5 years down the road, if he looks at "Mono" or "Stereo", he will know. And if it is just an M or just an S he'll have a very good shot at knowing.
Of course for labels for ones own use, each to his own.
Ed

If it's on a schematic some sort of symbol will need to be drawn, no
matter what, and if it's mono a single symbol with its reference
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 21:15:56 -0400, Michael Black wrote:

Just use two mics, one labeled "Right" and the other labeled "Left."
Sure, there are "stereo mics", but they're really just two mics in the same package.
Cheers! Rich

This is true, but when the point is to think in terms of a pairing as default state that would be like having to always explicitly specify multiples of the scissor, or the trouser.
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 22:47:33 -0500, Lostgallifreyan wrote:

When's the last time you needed a schematic of a scissor or a trouser? ;-)
Why do they wear a pair of panties but only one bra? ;-)
Cheers! Rich

Then, there is the hot dogs / buns thing.

Double entendre? Or is that just the single entendre?

Hot dogs are sold in packs of ten, while hot dog buns are sold in packs of eight.
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 00:47:18 -0700, CellShocked wrote:

That's so you can take the two leftover weiners, cut them up, and put them in your mac&cheese. ;-)
Cheers! Rich

I do Mac-Chee-Tuna-Pea.
I don't do Mac-Chee-DogBits.
wrote in

Was going to say all the time. :) But that is lame.. But there might be people who do. I'm thinking of the labels they put on shoes and stuff. Last time I looked at some wshing instructions on something I had to do a bit of decyphering but I think it was put there assuming someone out there knew the language. But I think they still kept their trousers in one piece.

They do? >:)