Trees & Bees

Spent some hours yesterday at an equestrian centre, fence judging.

Noticed that the trees on either side of a power line were severeley stunted on the side that faced the power line. (which would have been

11kV or 33kV on telegraph poles as per Britland country practice)

It was unlikely to be as the result of trimming back by the electricity board, because the separation was about 20 to 30 feet in all cases.

Do strong electromagnetic fields cause stunted growth in the Oak and the Ash?

I ponted this out to SWMBO who then recounted something she had read about the sudden death syndrome affect bee hives in some way being associated with the proliferation of mobile phone base stations.

So also, do strong electromagnetic fields disturb the homing instincts of bees

Reply to
invalid

The best fish catch is under power lines and reportedly pigeons get lost.

No one knows for sure.

Google "colony collapse disorder".

We are all screwed.

(... whoops, that will excite roy ...)

Reply to
Adrian C

It really has to do with the greater production of lithium metal to power the cell phones.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

This is something that I have not seen - however crews may be a bit over-enthusiastic about trimming trees- (whack them well back so we don't have to come back in the next 5 years) or some chemical was applied. Of course the trees, having been repeatedly "disciplined" have learned not to grow towards the lines. As to the bees ?? 50/60 Hz lines at this level have been around for nearly

100 years without any apparent effects. These lines do not produce "strong electromagnetic fields (particularly when they are 3 phase)
Reply to
Don Kelly

Thanks for your response; it was a serious question.

In the case of the bees, we're considering RF fields (which _DO_ radiate, that's the whole point!) on a spectrum ranging from 900MHz to 3 GHz, which well covers the frequencies that affect biological matter, as made use of in microowave ovens, for example.

Reply to
invalid