What is the symbol for a mic?

Here's an idea... For mono, do the usual, the circle and bar. If you were using it in a block diagram you'd get by with one pin coming off the circle at the point opposite the bar's contact with the circle, otherwise two, each slightly offset from that position, and parallel.
For stereo, use the two overlapping circles, and a bar joining tangents on each and extending to a point at each end coexistent with a tangent on the points most distant from each other on the double-circle pattern. (Bar is this same length now). Add one pin to each circle as before, for block diagrams, and for schematics, a third extending from the circle intersection point out to a point halfway between the outer ends of the other pins.
Stereo mics do exist, so this symbol makes sense, it fits existing conventions, and isn't going to get confused with a current source symbol because that has no bar, and its pins are in line, not offset.
I could have just drawn this, but I have no file hosting arranged, and figuring that out is a lot harder than saying this stuff..
Lostgallifreyan wrote:

Is your purpose communication or demonstrating how clever you are?
Every time I have to figure out some knot-headed icon, I curse. Write "Stereo" on the stereo recordings and "Mono" on the mono recordings - then anyone who knows enough about the subject to care about the difference will understand. I speak, read and write English, not Iconese. let them go back to Iconland where they belong.
rantingly,
Bill

Communication. What did you think it was? Did you read what the person who first posted asked for? If all I wanted to do was show how clever I was I'd have told him what I thought he should do, not what I think he wanted. I notice that you are telling me what he should do. So you are trying to tell me how clever you are when you should be communicating with him.
On 00:12 16 Oct 2009, Lostgallifreyan wrote:

Hello Lostgallifreyan, thank you for the detailed reply. I'm the original poster. (Sorry for the delay in replying.) I'm not sure I can see what you are describing.
(A) What does the following mean?
"bar joining tangents on each"
Does it mean a bar which passes thru the intersection of many pairs of tangents where each tangents in a pair is drawn from a points which is situated as if it were the mirror image of the other? This would be a bar drawn down the middle of the overlapping circles.
(B) I'm not sure about this other part of our description:
"extending to a point at each end coexistent with a tangent on the points most distant from each other on the double-circle pattern"
Those "Points on the double circle pattern most distant from each other" would presumably be those points on the 'outer edges' of the double-circle. I don't see a single tangent which passes through those two points. Perhaps you mean a tangent which touches each circle at the point(s) which are the furtherest possible from one other while still permitting the existence a common tangent.
(C) What about the overlap of the circles? Do your circles overlap by a radius? (Such that one circle goes through the other's centre). Or is the overlap more like half a radius?
Can you give us a drawing. It must be easier to understand than any more of this? In the end I only want to know see what symbol you're suggesting for stereo!
september.org:

Ok, I haven't got picture (or any) hosting so you'll need to tell me somewhere to send it.
If someone can remind me what the right group is called for this I'll try sending it there too.
Lostgallifreyan wrote:

september.org:

Ta. :) I googled a.b.s.e hoping they would tell me the full name, but no.. I wish Google had an exact string search.
Lostgallifreyan wrote:

Google is so screwed up anymore that it isn't funny.

I just had a momentary glimpse of how deep THAT rabbithole goes, and it's not an edifying view!
[quote] Sponsored Links
How to Make Electricity $200 DIY kit has electricity co's Exec calling for a ban on its sale. www.Power4Home.com [/quote]
This thing turns out to be a direct scam, credit card fraud, pure and simple, as Google's own searches will quickly reveal. Google included that as a sponsored link, and worse, they obscured it so the actual link above (the URL isn't the actual link, the "How To Make Electricity" is the link text) doesn't appear in the status bar of a browser when the pointer hovers over it. Further, it contains so much encrypted session-based tracking stuff, AND a payload for the script at the scammer's end appended to their own URL buried in Google's long link.
As far as I'm concerned, with this single move, Google just degenerated into the role of a pimp and procurer of victims for crime, knowing exactly what they do, so that makes them criminals too.
I wonder who this might be reported to, to have a significant effect. I think maybe the old blind eye won't do, now. Google wil say it does, for a while, but given enough reports they'll soon get clobbered enough to make them stop profiting from this degeneration.

Oh, and just to head off the chance of a bit of trolling, I clicked the link not because I beleive in it, but because it's a source of endless fascination to me what kinds of crap people come up with to try to convince the public that they have some kind of magic tech. Didn't even see it this time, just a long "but wait there's even more" infomercial caricature. I think someone mentions a couple of solar panels and a windmill... Whole thing makes Arthur Daley look like very high class.
On 11:37 15 Oct 2009, Eddie wrote:

THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED!
Eddie (OP)