Where Should I look for Quartz Heater?

I'm looking for an electrical quartz heater to replace one that stopped working. I recently purchased a home with electrical baseboard heat. I'm looking for a quartz heater that I move to different rooms as I need it insteadof using the baseboardf heat all od the time.

Are quartz heaters an efficient method of heating a room? Why is it I can only find a very limited low end selection at Home Depot and Loews? The local COSTCO doesn't carry them anymore. Should I post this message to another group?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

If you're an electrical engineer, you should immediately know that electric heat is electric heat (DimBulb not-withstanding), as far as heating a room. THese heaters have a significant IR content and may feel warmer when used as radiant heat. That is, directly in front of people.

There is also a *significant* risk of fire from these sorts of heaters (indeed all electric heaters). Perhaps this is why they're no longer carried.

Bottom line: forget these sorts of things, except *perhaps* for direct (radiant) heat where you will be present and awake! For heating rooms all electric heat seriously sux.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

I'm not a EE just a guy looking to replace a quartz heater. Yes, they do make people feel warmer and an electric only heater. I've never used one while sleeping.

I agree, but I'm stuck with it.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Why not carried anymore, in Greece they are very common.I personally have a gas heater (with LPG), which is very efficient, but it also should never be left on while I am asleep!Did you try to have it repaired?It`s a bit hard, but it?s worth it.

-- Dimitris Tzortzakakis,Greece

Ï Mike Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá óõæÞôçóçò: mnXvb.7365$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
Reply to
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

Well, I was twitting the resident nit-wit for an issue some time ago. Indeed thought you were an engineer. My apologies.

You simply need a radiant heat source. "Quartz" heaters aren't the only ones around. Many moons ago I used radiant kerosene heaters for this purpose. I've since given them up for real (oil, not gas heat). I'll fire up the wood-stove when it gets below 0F, for any period when I'll be home to stuff it.

Most now trip out if they fall over. They're not all *that* dangerous, though perhaps the Trial Lawyers Association has scared them. ...they tend to limit our choice and increase costs as only Government could top.

Get *lots* of blankets. We have comforters in our family room for people (and cats) to snuggle. I like a cold house.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

I found a low quality quatrz electric at Home Depot, but it was too noisy to use. I don't know why they are hared to locate. No, I have not tried to get one repaired.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

No problem.

Any recommendations for a radiant heat source?

I too prefer a cool house and prefer to heatr rooms as needed.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Kerosene heaters. Good ones don't stink and the best ones vent outside. There are widgets here called "monitors" that run on a variety of fuels (mostly some sort of gas).

Radiant heat might work then. I'd look for alternatives to electrical though.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Electrical gets to expensive at least where I live with electric over 25 cents a kwh

Reply to
bushbadee

I live in the mid-Atlantic area where electricity is supplied by BG&E which means it's generated by coal and nuclear (just 1/2 of one percent by natural gas) kWh cost is 4.39 cents. Actually, it looks like I might be ok. Last month the utility bill was $44.52. The highest bill was $68.90 during July due to running air conditioner While renovating the place and I'm living in the dining room on a sofa bed 'til I finish a bedroom. Use the electric quartz heater and a ten foot electric baseboard heater. Been cooling/heating only the dining room. On cold mornings I go up to the bathroom and turn on the in wall electric heater for 5 - 10 minutes before I take a shower. The place is not at all drafty. Another concern is no furnace in the basement. Only heat I've used so far is heat generated by the gas water heater. I'm going to put a thermometer in each room and monitor the tempature. During the summer I might install a wood pellet stove to heat the place.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Break down of $44.52 utility bill:

natural gas $ 5.55 delivery charge $13.98 electric $24.99

Includes all taxes. Only gas I use is for the hot water heater.

Mike

Reply to
Mike