Alternatives to Electric Basseboard Heat - Quartz Space Heaters?

I recently moved into a rowhouse in the mid-atlantic region. The coal furnace was taken out in the 70s and replaced with individual electric baseboard heating units. Each unit is separate and controlled by individual thermostats. I plan on closing some rooms off for the winter. Does it makes sense to minimize the use of the old electric baseboard heaters and use space heaters, e.g., plug-in quartz space heaters to save heating expenses? I suspect the old oil filled baseboard heaters are very inefficent.

Should I post this message in another newsgroup?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Well, you CAN just turn the baseboard heaters OFF.

The baseboard and the quartz heaters have the same efficiency.

The real question has to do with whether you need to supply some heat to the room to protect the structure. The baseboard heater cranked back to the low 50's or so will keep the outside walls from getting cold enough to cause condensation problems. IOW: the baseboard heaters will put the heat to where it will do the most good to protect the structure.

So my answer to your question is: NO!

Reply to
John Gilmer

The oil filled baseboard heaters are probably more efficient than an electric space heater for heating a whole room. That being said, electric resistance heating is quite expensive. You might try keeping the rooms at a slightly lower temp than you would normally prefer and using small "task" space heaters where you happen to be. This works for one or two people, but if you have kids running around this is quite unmanagable in my opinion.

Normally winterization may buy you quite a bit of savings. I know they are not beautiful, but plastic film over windows (particularly if they are drafty) is always a good option. Don't forget the rooms you shut off. The colder these rooms get, the more heat they will suck out of adjacent rooms.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

I need to heat some rooms so I can live comfortably in them. Other rooms I plan to keep at 50 degrees.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Right now, I'm living here by myself. I plan to winterize all rooms including the room I shut off.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Well, it is the 50 degree rooms I am addressing.

You definitely want the baseboards supplying the heat over using a heater in the middle of the room.

Occupied rooms might "feel" a little more comfortable when heated by something that puts out some radiation. Thus, you might consider just setting ALL the baseboards to 50F and using the "Quartz" heater when you use the room. When you finish, you turn off the quartz heater and eliminate a fire hazzard

Reply to
John Gilmer

Interesting suggestion. Makes sense to me. I decided next year I'm going to install a high tech stove and tap into the existing chimney

Mike

Reply to
Mike