Whole house "battery" wiring/power...

wrote:

Most have none ;maybe an old clock radio.

Nope. None here. Both powered off the heat pumps. It doesn't take much of a battery to keep a clock going. A button cell should last the life of the clock.

See above. You bought junk.

Wired is a requirement now.
On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 08:52:38 -0700, "Bill"

    Remember that 9 volts will loose voltage in a short run. By the time you get it trough a wire from one end of the house to another, you might be down to 7 volts and that might not work too well.

A more practical solution would be special J boxes that have the transformers in them and are sensitive to loads being plugged/ unplugged and cut off power to the primary when not in use. Everyone hates wall warts, they draw a little current even when not in use. Your electrician would then install these low voltage outlets easily throughout the house. The important thing is that they be able to detect "no load" and cut off the primary, and sense an item being plugged in or turned on and re-connect the transformer primary. Your whole house DC distribution idea would not be able to do this because it has to be "ready" globally with no local outlet control sensors.
windcrest wrote:

There is no reason that could not be designed into wall-warts. I've never measured the quiescent primary current draw of old style wall-warts verses the newer tiny switcher wall-warts, I'm sure someone has done so. I think your idea is great for office cubicles because it could be built in during manufacturing and would help lead to a less cluttered work space, at least for some people.
TDD

The draw is usually a watt or two, but the power factor of an un-loaded wall wart is pretty bad, so it can be 5-10VA. Under load, the iron transformer type are normally around 50% efficient.

This could have been a very interesting thread if it were not for the few insecure nerds/geeks who think they have to prove something about their engineering prowess, and just wind up looking like a person with drastic insecurity issues.
I did however offer a marketable solution to your proposal, if you can find it somewhere in this mess.
Few others of these supposedly "illustrious" engineers actually offered anything worthwhile from what I can see.
Too bad.