Why Does Lamp Go On?

I have a simple single phase motor fan that runs on one outlet and one of those lamps that go on when you touch the housing and is connected to another outlet. Both appliances are on same breaker. I have noticed that when I switch speeds or turn the motor off for the fan, the lamp mysteriously goes on for a split second, then dims out. I believe what is happening is related to some kind of capacitance discharge through the lamp. But I would like to hear from the experts. In addition, since the housing was never touched on the lamp, there shouldn't be a circuit involving the hot wire, the lamp, and the neutral wire. What am I missing here?

Dan

Reply to
Dan

Probably due to a high dV/dt inductive voltage spike caused by the fan switching transient. An oscilloscope could confirm this supposition. Gene

Reply to
Gene