Wither SCR's

I just heard that SCR's are going out of fashion. Is it true? What is being used now for fast and high current electronic switching? IGFETS's? If I wanted to generate a fast spark by discharging a capacitor through an inductor, what would be the best switch to use if SCR's were no longer available?

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

I haven't seen SCRs used in anything much in quite a long time. They used to be common in motor inverter drives but IGBTs have replaced them almost entirely over the last couple decades. I suspect there are still esoteric applications where an SCR is the best choice but they are certainly becoming less common.

Reply to
James Sweet