Would this work?

I want to construct a simple blinker system for my gas scooter (of the goped
style somewhat). The lights will be mounted to the rear of a custom built
trailer. So here's what I'd like to do. I want a center-off 2 way switch
[on-off-on] at the handlebars for switching between the lights. The main
thing I'm concerned about is how to make the lights blink. I'm thinking
maybe a car blinker part might work. The power source will be either a large
6v battery or a cluster of 1.5v batteries in a holder to add up to 6v-12v
(depending on how much voltage is required for the blinker; I think 12v
though).
[power 6v/12v] + ---[switch]==[blinker 1 with + connection]==[left]
[power 6v/12v] - ---[switch]==[blinker 2 with + connection]==[right]
Just to clearify the diagram, it would be a single switch for both lights
with 3 positions, on-off-on, not a single on-off switch or each light. So
does anyone have any idea of this would work?
Reply to
Josiah
On an automobile the circuit is (+ACs-)power to positive side of flasher, negative side of flasher to common connection of turn signal switch, two output connections of turn signal switch to signal lamps, lamps grounded to (-)battery. One flasher for both left and right. Mechanical automobile flashers require a pretty high current to operate, I would look for an all electronic flasher at my local auto parts store.
Good luck, ARM
Reply to
Alan McClure
I'm not quite sure I understand completely what you're saying as far as connections. Could you possibley draw a small diagram of what you mean?
Reply to
Josiah
I picked up a 552 blinker for $1 and hooked it to a bicycle light with a household universal AC adapter (set to 12 volts) and it works! The blinker clicks and the light flashes. I think I may use two large cell 6v batteries (like used in camping lanterns) so it has the required 12 volts plus should last a good long time.
Reply to
Josiah
Use LED lights and you can find them that already blink. Your battery will last a lot longer too.
Reply to
Greg
Pick up a 12v 7mah (or so) lead acid hobby battery. It won't weigh to much more and you can recharge it with your universal adapter.
Reply to
vincee