Mindstorms RCX 2.0 and Windows 2000

I just bought a Mindstorms 2.0 for my son. As I wrapped it up (birthday tomorrow) I got a little worried by the "Windows 98" requirement, with no mention of Windows 2000. I google and find a whole lot of adverts with "Requires Windows 98 or Windows XP, Windows 2000 not supported"

Will i be able to use this with windows 2000? My son will be dissatisfied with the Linux programming environment that is the only alternative to W2K in our house.

Reply to
nick

Is your son in in school. He might get windows XP via the school legally for about USD 30,-.

Reply to
Wouter

Well I didn't say i want XP. And I don't!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
nick

I seem to remember it working on my 2K machine but I can't guarantee it.

Sorry

Reply to
Dean Earley

just to clarify so you would understand why....

windows 2000 is NT which many softwares even sometimes up to today do not support.

xp only gets away with it because it has this compactibility mode thing that can make installer/softwares think its actually windows 9x instead to certain limits.

I did some quick looking online and the only possible alternative is to use java but its all text based (like with dos) so I'm sure thats also out of thought too?

one far-fetched idea you could possible try would be QEMU (

) and running any good cd copy of windows 95 in there and well you get the idea.

wish I could help more but NT-only is NT-only strictly :-|

Reply to
dr

OK, just so future googlers can find it, there seems to be no issue at all with win2k and Mindstorms 2.0. (Birthday over, no tears!)

Reply to
nick