Diagrams/drawings wanted

I want some more visual information about the sidebar wafer lock.. known as the bi-lock to some..

I've been trying to get more detail pictures because black and white doesn't usually do it for me. But if it truly is detail, i'd love to see it.

I'm looking for visual details and exploded views.

Reply to
Genecks

See

although the diagrams there are somewhat disappointing. It actually uses pin tumblers, not wafers and has two sidebars one for each row of 6 pins. It also differs from the 'General Motors' traditional sidebar cylinder in that the sidebar springs keeps the sidebar pushed out until the plug is turned whereas with the GM type the sidebar is pushed against the wafers which have 'V' notches to 'accept' the sidebar, and when the key is withdrawn, the wafers move forcing the sidebar out. The whole mechanism is contained within the half inch plug.

Reply to
Peter

How much do you think it would cost?

Reply to
Genecks

not sure who you are asking (you didn't use quotes) but check with your locals. prices very depending on geographical location. in my area, a GM door lock shouldn't be over 25 bucks. you might also check out the salvage yards.

g'luck

Reply to
Key

Less than 25.00 here too-At most cheap auto stores like auto zone,advance, etc.Door locks are sold in sets-so I would look for an ignition lock, somewhere in the 80's-Without V.A.T.S. on it. Some junkyards will not let you take Ig lock out of the column-so ask them about a couple door locks or a trunk lock-might as well have two of 'em.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

seen many junkyards with ignition locks already out and on the shelf. he may also try AutoZone. they are pretty cheap there.

he will still need to know how to correctly disassemble the ignition switch. you know, those two little rods and springs that will tend to jump out at ya:-)

Reply to
Key

What are V.A.T.S?

And also, what are some common GM model vehicles found in salvage and junk yards that may contain a sidebar wafer lock inside?

Reply to
Genecks

ANY ignition lock up to, say 96 IS a side bar ANY single sided key Gm is a side bar. 'most' of the later 10 cut ign are also.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

It's singular. Vehicle Anti-Theft System. One of the earlier generations of automotive locking systems where the key is tested electronlically as well as mechanically.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Vats is the system that uses a resistor pelet in the igniton key. And an interrogator in the car some where, to determine if it's the correct resistor value for the car.

Sidebar. Well, that would be most vehicles after 1936, with the exception of some of the ones with the double sided key. I havn't worked on the double sided key ones, so don't know a lot about them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

the later GM ign locks are 'convenience keyed...' one side, so it can use the side bar. but the key is double , just to be handy.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--