Lubricating Kwikset spindles

Seems the mechanism in a Kwikset (or Titan) entry knob tends to dry up and get miserable.

I've seen this several times, but never quite sure what to use for lube. WD dries out, white lith is OK. The last time I used a couple fingerfuls of axle grease.

What works for the rest of y'all?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

high pressure moly is available.. if a lot of moisture-might look at the teflon based boat greases..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

that's because it's a piece of junk. the real question is why did you buy it in the first place?

Reply to
billb

because the customer wont spring for a $300 door lock (NOR, in some cases NEED same) and FWIW, I am seeing a LOT of new houses where changing to a KW is a BIG step up in quality-and these are $150/200 k houses

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

This is a case of anything is better than nothing. If there is dried lube on the spindle WD40 or some solvent to clean the crud off and then some grease daubed on with an acid brush.

If that is not handy, any lube you got. The worst point of wear seems to be in the latch itself and then between the knob spindle and the rose. Both of these need a spray lube WD40 is OK but Tri-Flow is better.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

don't believe he bought it. he seemed to be referring to his customers locks. there sure are a lot of folks out there that buy them.

my2

Reply to
Key

The builders put them in.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I think the striped stuff would dry out after awhile. But, it would be a minty fresh lock for a couple days.

I think the new latches are less quality than the older ones. I liked the ones which had a set backset and face. The adjustable ones, I don't like. Andt he newer adjustable ones I like even less.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon