break break on

locksmith has a box of

-Paul

no..

Reply to
"Keyman

I use (for the most part) WD-40.

Never use 3-in-One oil or graphite.

Bobby (let the debate begin..... AGAIN!)

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Well, it's complicated. I use about five or six different types of lubricant,d epending on the situation.

Vehicle door locks: WD, or other liquid in spray can. I've heard of using transmission fluid, but not tried that myself. Some really like it. Latch mechanisms for car doors: aerosol white lithium, or maybe foamy bar and chain oil. Inside rim mounted locks (On the sliding bolt) grease. Pin tumbler cylinders which are indoors or protected by a storm door: Usually graphite. Pin tumbler cyls exposed to weather: WD, or aerosol. Adams Rite latch mechanism on the flip up bolt: White lith, or foamy bar oil.

Now, it's worth mentioning that very few locksmiths agree on all of these. What we do agree is that no one lubricant works in every situation, on every lock.

I do try to avoid "graphited lock fluid" which, in my experience, dries and gets gooey.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

WD-40 is okay, but it collects dirt also. Try Tri-flo it's a teflon dry lubricant and last longer than WD-40.

Reply to
Mojo

Paul, avoid using 3-in-1, as it's a "high speed" oil used just for high speed motors. Dry graphite should also be avoided as it is a solid and will eventually build up and can block the key from fully entering the cylinder. An ideal lubricant for locks would be WD-40. Padlock shims can and do take a beating as it is a very thin metal competing against a very strong padlock. It's not unusual to buy padlock shims in bulk packaging. Sincerely, The Pink Panther

Reply to
Good Alarm