Thinking of going DCC...

I just worked out what I need in the way of decoders :
3 with sockets no lights (Bachmann 20, 25 and 55)
1 with socket and directional lights (Hornby 50) - presumably with reversed
socket
8 non-socketed no lights (Mainline 03, Bach 08, Hornby 56, 86, 105 & 90,
Lima 87 & Deltic)
3 non-socketed with directional lights (Hornby HST & 56, Bach 158)
Also on the way, Bachmann 40 and a Heljan 47..
I am a complete novice at this, so I have no idea what I am letting myself
in for. On the plus side, I can solder fairly well and have a good knowledge
of electronics. I imagine that all the pancake motor items (Lima and Hornby)
will be relatively easy, as should the socketed items. When it comes to
wiring lights though, I have no idea what will be required.
Items which I expect will be less simple will be the 03 & 08 (space), the
158 & HST (separate function decoder for non powered car?) and the 56
(lights).
Assuming I go for Lenz equipment, which models of decoder would people
recommend?
Any help / advice / recomendations would be very welcome.
Adrian
Reply to
Adrian
105??? I meant 110....Although I have a DC Kits 105 with Black Beetle motor bogie which might not be too easy to add DCC to...
Adrian
Reply to
Adrian
"Adrian" wrote
It depends upon what you want the decoders to do.
The LE1014 series are fine if you don't want feedback and price is a consideration - these are effectively the same decoder that Bachmann will be introducing shortly.
However the most popular, as least judging by the numbers we sell are the LE1025 types.
John.
Reply to
John Turner
A good link to find the right DCC-decoder:
Christian
Reply to
Christian Lindecke
have also used it for Hornby pancake motors (though caution is required as the insulation can be suspect). I have used the same decoders on Bachmann 25's and Peaks and the Heljan Hymek. I have used LE1014s on Bachmann Voyagers and function decoders. I am converting them to LE1035s as the shunting function is useful. Hard wiring is the most challenging but the Mackay Models and Bachmann sites are very helpful. In twenty conversions I have cooked 1 decoder on a hardwire, it pays to do the continuity test and read the decoder address every time. The challenge is worth it and if you want the best out of DCC I recommend the Lenz set 100. regards, Steve
Reply to
titans
Insulation between what? the motor connections and the chassis?
I had assumed that the basic process was to cut the wires which feed the motor and take a supply to the decoder and feed back from the decoder to the motor. I presume the problems start where the motor is electrically connected to other parts of the chassis via a rout other than the feed wires???
I'm afraid you lost me there... When you say "hard wiring" do you mean installing a decoder where no socket is available? Continuity test...? of what / how? Read the decoder address - please explain..
Sorry for all the questions, but it's probably better if I learn the terminoligy now...!
That looks like the favourite...
Adrian
Reply to
Adrian