Hornby Class 50 and DCC Decoder

Could you let me know your experiences with decoders and the 50? Looking to chip a new one and was pondering using the plug or direct wiring. Currently have a Digitrax system with Digitrax, Lenz and TCS decoders.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

If you have an early one the board creates a complete short on any decoder plugged in with the blue wire connected. Hornby will replace the board but you need to find out before you fry your decoder.

Also the lighting LEDs are all wired with common negative when you need common positive for DCC. So you have the choice of keeping the Hornby board (If its the correct version) when your lights will work but you will be limited to the basic and unrealistic directional lighting. Or you can ditch the Hornby board and direct wire but you will have to work over the LED boards to change them to common positive and that is pretty fiddly but its the method I used.

Keith

Reply to
Keith

It is a new one numbered 50 004 only arrived in the UK two weeks ago. It seems a shame that they did not use the two extra pins for the headlights. I will continue my investigation of the circuit board. I had thought that one of the Digitrax drop ins might work but to no avail.

Chris

Reply to
Chris