Hornby DCC Decoder Query

I recently got one of the new HST's with DCC and thought it would be nice to be able to switch of the cab light. But I have found that it does not seem possible to control the additional function outputs, green and purple wires. The green always seems to be on regardless of F3 operation and purple always seems to be off regardless of F4 operation. Anyone know of a CV that needs to be set to make them work. The decoder is R8249 with a Digitrax DCC system. Otherwise lights and operation of the power cars is great.

Reply to
Chris

Does this list help, shows F3 and F4 as CV 37 and 38.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I had seen that but is not specific to Hornby decoders they look like function re-mapping CV's and are mentioned in this decoders manual. Inclined to replace them with Lenz or TCS decoders.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

No those CV's are as per NMRA. however there are more than one version of decoder R8429, V1.3 is NMRA compliant ! So you need to know which version of decoder you have and if it isnt V1.3 then see what it says in decoder instructions on what controls output on the relevent wires. See product info :-

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

As I said originally mentioned above there is no mention in the decoder manual other than green is F3 and purple is F4 the link above takes me to the same manual I have for the decoder. I have dropped an email to Hornby support with the query. Hopefully its not another case of borderline compliance that I had with ZTC decoders a few years ago in that case it was erratic operation.

Reply to
Chris

Chris, Ever read this from hornby forum, puts a different slant on definitions !

Specifically the reply from By Rog (RJ). Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Now that makes more sense and works pity its not so clear in the manual. Thanks for your help :)

Reply to
Chris

The oddities of operations not covered by data sheets seems to be endless. During my early investigations into DCC I believed the statements (from various sources including Peco) that points were all DCC ready. It quickly became evident that the frogs(of any type) must be isolated on their exit joints or problems will arise. Whereas the the DC control gives rise to a spark as a loco passes the DCC gives rise to a powerdown (error message) or worse - return to default address!

This now takes no time to recognise and almost less to remedy as there are now reprog tracks all over the place.

The power downs are more of a nuisance because when using the Select walkabout there is no immediate evidence of a problem except lack of movement but eventually the loco address LCDs flash. It still means a trip to the Elite to make the reset. Equally I have yet to discover how one operates points or functions from the Select ( it is simple enough if the Select is the only controller), at present it seems to be a simple loco speed and direction unit which ignores the acceleration and decel settings and even stop at times!

Reply to
Sailor

Good oh, let me know if/when you work out how to operate points from Select through Elite, may want to do that myself.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon