DCC Decoder for control of Smoke

What kind of decoder do you need to control the smoke function? Ho scale steam loco.
All the decoders that I have looked at mention nothing about this. Just lights
and motor.
Thanks Chris

There are three obvious ways to wire the smoke unit: - direct across the track contacts. (uncontrolled and full power all the time) - direct across the motor. (steam output in proportion to motor speed, but with a major drop-off at slower speeds) - use a low current relay, switched by an auxilliary output, to control the smoke unit. (the power to the smoke unit can come from track or motor terminals.
The major factors to be considered are the current draws of the individual components; smoke unit, motor and relay coil, and how they are combined.
Greg.P.
On 2/28/2009 7:40 PM Greg.Procter spake thus:

Way to not answer the guy's question. He was asking about *DCC*.
Idiot.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Well, since you have named yourself -- I'll just mention that the answer DOES apply to the DCC systems as presently available AND the presently available smoke units. Now if someone wants to develop a 'chuff able' smoke unit, then a dedicated output from DCC decoders would be useful, but thats for sometime in the future.
Chuck D.
On 2/28/2009 9:04 PM Charles Davis spake thus:

Yeah, guess I jumped on that one a bit too quick ...
--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "fuck" is incapable of writing a good summary

Don't knock yourself too hard David, jumping in without sufficient thought is your forte.
Regards, Greg.P.
Charles Davis wrote:

Check out MTH HO steam offers.
On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 00:04:12 -0500, Charles Davis wrote:

Not in my future if it still means wispy white oil vapors condensing on everything in sight.
Smoke units to date look REALLY hokey, with the side effect of laying down a film ofsticky slime on track and rolling stock and scenery and buildings.
--
Steve

Tri-ang, Lionel and Bachmann (have there been others?) have all at odd times in the past developed, manufactured and sold mechanical "puffing/chuffing" smoke units. Seuthe makes an electronic puffing smoke unit. I think the buying consensus has been that they're not worth the extra cost, at this stage of development.
Regards, Greg.P.
On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 17:06:56 +1300, David Nebenzahl

Thank you for the response, Idiot.
I answered in terms of DCC. <sheesh>
Regards, Greg.P.

The smoke unit would yet another 'function'. Many DCC decoders have a bunch of 'function' outputs. *Usually* these are used for all sorts of extra lights, in addition to the head light: marker lights, mars lights, ditch lights, etc. Since a steam loco is not likely to have things like ditch lights, marker lights, or mars lights, you should be able to one these extra functions to control the smoke unit.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Smoke units I suspect draw a lot of power. Make sure yours doesn't draw more than the rating for the output.
At Sun, 1 Mar 2009 19:39:16 GMT snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

One can always get a tip3055 (plastic TO-220 version of a 2N3055) transistor and use it to drive the smoke unit.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933

Those function outputs don't have the current source/drain capacity to operate a smoke unit - hence my suggestion of using a miniature relay controlled by a function output supplying track current to the smoke unit.
Greg.P.

Or a tip3055 transistor.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933

Sure, if you happen to have a source of DC current. :-)
On 3/1/2009 1:06 PM Greg.Procter spake thus:

Easily provided from track power with a diode and a filter capacitor.
See how at
http://www.geocities.com/bonezphoto/misc/trackpower.gif .
--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "fuck" is incapable of writing a good summary

Thanks for that, very handy. *
like corkscrews.

So add an (equally cheap) bridge rectifier. Both the tip3055 and bridge rectifier are available from Radio Shack...

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
wrote: : > : >> : >> What kind of decoder do you need to control the smoke function? Ho : >> scale steam loco. : >> : >> All the decoders that I have looked at mention nothing about this. Just : >> lights : >> and motor. : > : > The smoke unit would yet another 'function'. Many DCC decoders have a : > bunch : > of 'function' outputs. *Usually* these are used for all sorts of extra : > lights, in addition to the head light: marker lights, mars lights, ditch : > lights, etc. Since a steam loco is not likely to have things like ditch : > lights, marker lights, or mars lights, you should be able to one these : > extra functions to control the smoke unit. : > : : Those function outputs don't have the current source/drain capacity to : operate a smoke unit - hence my suggestion of using a miniature relay : controlled by a function output supplying track current to the smoke unit. : : Greg.P.