Decoder For Hornby Rebulit BoB

Just got one of these an wondered if anyone had fitted one and if so which one. I operate Digitrax DCC so would not consider ZTC decoders, work erractlicly with Digitrax (from personal experience), or Hornby as they don't appear to fully implement NMRA standards from what I have heard on this newsgroup.

Thanks

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I have a Lenz Gold in my model of Plymouth, works fine for me, but I use a Lenz system anyway.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"Chris" wrote

I'd be trying one of the new Lenz 'Standard' decoders for the BoB. This is what I wrote about the 'Standard' in an earlier posting:-

< quote >

These are now available and are a 3-function version of the (4-function) Silver decoder. Otherwise (apart from the fact that they do not have the ABC facility) they have all the other features of the HO Silver decoders. These are MUCH higher spec than the cheaper decoders offered by other manufacturers, and should be ideal for use in steam locos as well as those diesel models which do not require a large number of function options. RRP is £13.75.

< /quote >

John.

Reply to
John Turner

For general interest there's a nice pocket in rebuilt BoB near the front with the following approximate dimensions 26mm X 17mm X 6mm which means no need for especially small decoders. Leaning towards either a TCS T1 or Lenz Silver.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

So not worth getting a Silver then as not much difference in the drive although the Lenz web site notes that as a big difference:

entry-line: standard motor drive with limited features and a standard warranty but with a great price

standard-line: advanced motor drive and expanded features with our industry leading goof proof warranty

Silver Series: Ultra-Drive with Asymmetric DCC capability.

Gold Series: the most advanced decoders in the industry. The Gold has with USP, Ultra drive, RailCom and the industry leading goof proof warranty. The Silver offer Asymmetric DCC.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

"Chris" wrote

I was quoting the Lenz importers, when I've actually got my hands on a 'Standard' I'll report back further.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

My local sold out soon after he got his allocation, Galaxy Models Ipswich.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Mightly impressed with the power of this engine compared to an unrebuilt example. I know the real life rebuilds were heavier but the Hornby one is @ 29% heavier than their unrebuilt 395g to 305g. Gets up a 1:27 on curve with 8 coaches no problem the unrebuilt can take 4 only and needs a pilot to get more up.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

You can't go wrong with Zimo and I would unhesitatingly recommend them for any loco.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq