Hornby Accessory Decoders?

I have a quick question on DCC accessory decoders, that hopefully has an easy answer. On the Hornby Select, it will only expect/allow the start address from

61 onwards, I am assuming that is because as an entry level/start DCC controller, the addresses 1-59/60 are used for locomotives etc. On the Hornby Elite, it makes references to the start accessory address being group 1, and allowing addresses from 1, this is because I again assume being more advanced as a unit, it allows both loco addresses and accessory addresses on a separate chip/program.

Looking at the leaflet that comes with the Hornby Accessory decoder, it classes them in blocks of 4 in each group, I.e. Group 1 = 1,2,3,4 and Group

2 as being 5,6,7 and 8.

If I had an accessory decoder (Lenz) which had 6 outputs and they were not dependant on the DCC controller to program them, so out the box they were pre-assigned outputs 1,2,3,4,5 and 6, would I be able to use the Hornby Accessory decoder from 7,8,9 and 10 as a group when programming, so I just say start address = 7 and it works out 8, 9 and 10 automatically? Or do I need to go straight to group 3 which is 9,10, 11 and 12 , so I would enter 9, so it uses 9,10,11 and 12, thus missing out 7 and 8. Are Hornby decoders locked into those blocks of 4? Or can you start at any address and it works out the rest?

I would like to do, 1-6 on the first decoder and then use the hornby one to do 7-10 inclusive?

Chris

Reply to
Chris King

Not an answer but you might find these pages

of use both now and in the future. NMRA write the specifications that Hornby, Lenz and the like claim to follow.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

From what I remember of the Hornby instructions its quite emphatic that you need to start with the block at a multiple of 4+1. So its 1,5,9 etc. Suggests programming done to spec translated literally and not by someone that understands the situation - unless DCC specify it like that.

Usual thing, give it a go and find out though.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon