DCC Accessory Decoders

If a DCC accessory decoder is powered by the DCC bus, would a locomotive that shorts on a turnout because the turnout was thrown against it prevent the switching of the turnout? I like the simple hookup of something like a Digitrax DS44, but want to make sure the problem of going through the turnout the wrong way can be fixed without touching the train.

We use Tortoise switch machines.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Generally, if the layout is in shorted state, you can't send any commands, so you can't throw switches. And stationary decoders are usually connected to the track, and not loconet (though some decoders like the DS64 can be connected both way). *

Reply to
PV

The quick answer is yes, it can not be controlled because the DCC buss is down.

A solution is to install power districts with circuit breakers and then create a sperate power district for the DCC accessory decoders.

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard Garner

Yup, that's what I do, and it's saved (me? the layout?) on more than one occasion.

I have even heard of larger layouts not only using separate power districts, but separate boosters dedicated to powering stationary decoders.

Stevert

Reply to
Stevert