DCC

I am planning to build a small layout. I am torn between N scale, of which I have a large number of cars and motive power, or going to On30
and I am also considering using DCC, but I am not sure if it is worth it. Any comments, please.
Lot of possible replies. How small is small? On30 will give you more room in engines if you think you might like DCC and sound. IMHO if you are going to run more than one engine at a time I think you need DCC.

If you're just running one train at a time, leaving the other locomotives sitting at designated locations, then as far as train control goes you'll find DC (with block wiring) ok. DCC has many other advantages though, including but not limited to headlight control (and lighting effects, if your decoder is so equiped), adjustable speed curves (so your locomotives will run nice together), and SOUND! Nothing's quite like being able to blow the horn as you approach a grade crossing, and sound the bell when you're traveling past a station.
As far as DCC systems go, I'd look for something from Digitrax or Lenz, and avoid Bachmann, Atlas, and MRC systems. Simple systems do not give you the power to take advantage of the DCC system. Train control is a big feature, but for a single person I don't think it's big enough.
My home layout is DC with block wiring. My club's layout is Digitrax DCC. (Disclaimer: I may be in the "new toy enamored" state with DCC right now. I think it's pretty cool.)
Puckdropper
marching band.
Glenn wrote:

If your into operations, DCC is the way to go. Either N or On30
Howard Garner
Howard R Garner wrote:

If you're into operations, surgery would be the way to go!
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 14:59:00 +1300, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Greg's never been happier since his pre-frontal lobotomy. He's made others miserable but he's just as jolly as can be. -- Ray
On 2/10/2008 6:40 PM Ray Haddad spake thus:

Hey, I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:45:12 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

Hmmm. Is that a "beer-bottle-me" procedure? Remember the biological beer delivery system?
http://www.collegelaughs.ca/college-girls/beer_girl.jpg
I'll send her right over. After she delivers mine. Ok? -- Ray
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I'm sure you're the one here best able to make the comparison!
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 19:45:12 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Er, uh, that goes "I'd rather have a _free_ bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy"
--
Steve

On 2/11/2008 2:42 AM Steve Caple spake thus:

Izzat what Tom Waits said?
On 2/11/2008 2:42 AM Steve Caple spake thus:

Ackshooly, according to this (http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id 0199), the saying (which doesn't include the "pre-") didn't originate with Tom Waits after all, but eithe W.C. Fields or Dorothy Parker.
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:56:00 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

I'm quoting from a contemporary source, the restroom walls of the Catalyst in Santa Cruz; this is back in the days when Ben Stein was trying to make a coke deal there and got scared shitless by some dykes on bikes types.
And it does scan better.
--
Steve

Euphony is all.
-Pete
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:54:40 -0800, P. Roehling wrote:

Back atcha!
--
Steve