"Best" Scale for small layout?

Had a reality check and decided to pass on one of those layouts that eats your garage.

So the space I can use is the size of a door I have, 30"x70".

Thinking that either N or O would be the best to get a layout that is not too crowded.

Sound about right?

And in terms of rolling stock, I want to work in an era from the

1940's and earlier. Hopefuly there is stuff out there in that era.

Thx much for any advice you can offer.

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Well, no. O gauge rolling stock would be far too large for a 30"x70" space unless you were thinking of a John Allen "Timesaver"-style switching puzzle layout.

HOn2 1/2, N, or Z would probably be your best options for door-sized limitations.

You could even have curves! :-P

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

N Scale for sure - decent number of steamers out there, your choices in

1940s switchers may be a bit limited, but still you should be able to assemble a decent roster of rolling stock. O scale on a door on those dimensions would be more a diorama or small switching layout.
Reply to
Sir Ray

N scale. I had N until my hands got too twitchy. You can create realistic layouts in a small space. My O layout is pretty realistic, but it's 18' x

30'. Also the cost of motive power and rolling stock is substantially less using N.
Reply to
Carl Heinz

True, when you thin of them one at a time. Since people usually end up with a lot more rolling stock etc in N scale, an N scale layout can end up costing much more than an O scale one in the same space.

HTH Wolf K.

Reply to
Wolf K

Your reference to John's Timesaver layout brought back many memories, tks.

Reply to
Norvin Gordon

True, when you thin of them one at a time. Since people usually end up with a lot more rolling stock etc in N scale, an N scale layout can end up costing much more than an O scale one in the same space.

HTH Wolf K.

Not only the rolling stock adds up but also scenery as in structures, vehicles, figures. All in all I believe an N-scale layout is more expensive per square meter/yard, especially when building a layout with a large city or towns. A real city scene can easily have plus 40 structures and still not look convincing because theres too much vacant room left.

Greetz Jan

Reply to
Jan Van Gerwen

"Musicman59" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@p2g2000vbj.googlegroups.com...

Had a reality check and decided to pass on one of those layouts that eats your garage.

So the space I can use is the size of a door I have, 30"x70".

Thinking that either N or O would be the best to get a layout that is not too crowded.

Sound about right?

And in terms of rolling stock, I want to work in an era from the

1940's and earlier. Hopefuly there is stuff out there in that era.

Thx much for any advice you can offer.

Craig, what do you want to do, operate the layout and run trains on such a small base , yes then N or Z ( not much choice in that era ) is your scale. I f you want to build a beautiful layout with details everywhere, craftsmen structures and the building of the layout is more important then the operating possibilities , I would suggest H0 , 0 or one of the narrow gauge layouts.

Greetz Jan

Reply to
Jan Van Gerwen

OTOH, the 'cost' can be spread over a (large) period of time --

*individualy*, N scale rolling stock, engines, and structures are fairly cheap, cheaper than the same item in 0 scale. And the OP was talking about a *small* layout. A small layout will have less 'stuff' on it.
Reply to
Robert Heller

Well, if it was a choice between O and N I'd pick S ;-) (Sorry but I'm quite partial to A.C. Gilbert's easy-to-work-on 1:64 size. Still a bit big for a door-size layout, though. And 3-rail model RR track is just too unrealistic IMHO) Probably N or Z is the best bet here. Sincerely,

Reply to
J.B. Wood

Note that not all O scale is three rail. There are a bunch of us in two rail. Unfortunately the track gauge is off, but that's another story ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

FINALLY someone mentions S Scale:) As you note, S Scale is a little large for a door sized layout, but only if it's standard gauge. Sn3 cars and locos are bout the same size as HO scale standard gauge equipment and if cost is more important than absolute scale fidelity you could use HO scale track, trucks, and mechanisms and have a 42" narrow gauge. The Model Power DDT switcher scales nicely to S Scale (it's way to large for an HO locomotive) and they are cheap on eBay. Titchy makes HO scale ore cars that also "scale" well to S narrow gauge. I case you can't tell by now I really like S Scale - the Ideal Scale:) here's why

Cheers, Ken

Reply to
Ken

Robert Heller on Sat, 19 Nov 2011 07:36:45 -0600 typed in rec.models.railroad the following:

A smaller layout ... um, depends. A 30 x 24' house on a 75 x 50 foot lot, ten feet of street, 8 feet of alley, is the same regardless of the scale (1' to 1', 1":12" 1:160, etc). That city block has just as many buildings, they just require less space in the room to be displayed. OTOH, the difference in detail of a 1:12 house vs a 1:160 is incredible.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich