Atlas Digitrax Decoder

Can anyone tell me if an Atlas locomotive equipped with a Digitrax Dn-146AX decoder can be run with a normal non-DCC controller? If not, is there a way to bypass the decoder?

OS

Reply to
OldSailor

I don't profess to be an expert on DCC, but as old as that decoder is, it probably won't work in dc mode. According to Digitrax' website, it was superceded in 2002. IIRC, jumper plugs, etc to change to/from DCC to DC are much more recent.

YMMV, fl@liner

Reply to
fubar

So if you don't profess to be an expert why pass on your ignorance? Since you took the trouble to go to the digitrax site and check their decoder list two more clicks would have got you the manual where it is clearly stated that the decoder will run on DC (analogue). It does not need to be bypassed. Operation on DC is the default setting but it is possible the previous owner disabled that feature, in that case it needs the value in CV29 resetting to the default. Anyone with a DCC setup can do that for you.

There are very few decoders that don't work on DC as it has been a feature of the NMRA standard from the beginning. Because this is a standard feature jumper plugs are very rarely used. Early Atlas DCC fitted locos had them. Keith

Reply to
Keith

OS,

I suggest that the best place to ask that question would be the Atlas Forums. I asked a similar question myself and got a response in very short time.

Regards, RonMcF Oz

***
Reply to
RonMcF

Well, I bow to your vast knowledge of DCC and your ability to navigate Digitrax' website. Your unworthy correspondent was unable to get much of anything on the subject or the particular decoder. Better to have erred on the safe side than to have had the OP smoke test his unit...

YHS. fl@liner

Reply to
fubar

Right on! Gratuitously disagreeable comments serve no purpose here.

Reply to
tkranz

Tech Support at Digitrax says it can be run with no problem on a regular track as can ALL their decoders.

End of subject! Thanks for all the comments. I'm LEARNING!

OS

Reply to
OldSailor