Engine Decoder Identification

I have a few engines that I bought along the way that have DCC installed. How can I tell what decoder is installed? I think I need to
know the decoder so that I can determine the CV values.I'm going to be using a Digitrax Zepher to operate the system.
Thanks Mike

The Zephyr can read the decoders' settings without knowing the brand/model of decoder.
-- Bill McC.

Reading the CV isn't the problem. How do I know which CV's are for what and what they can be set to? Is there a standard for CV's. Maybe I should search around for that. When I read the directions of how to change the CV settings, the 1st thing the instructions do is say "get out the decoder manufacture specs". Thanks Mike
Well there's an easy way and that is to use DecoderPro (JMRI). The other way is to go to the NMRA site and check the CV list. This won't help with the manufacture specific ones however. The only way you can learn what these do is the manual that comes with the decoder or is available on the manufactures site.
http://www.nmra.org/standards/DCC/standards_rps/rp922.html
http://jmri.sourceforge.net/
Jon Miller wrote:

Mike,
Jon is absolutely correct about DecoderPro, but what he failed to mention is that they also list a huge number of decoder identification CV values here: http://jmri.sourceforge.net/xml/XSLT/pages/DecoderId.html
Using your Zephyr, read CV's 7 and 8 of the unknown decoders, and look them up there. Then go to the manufacturer's Web site and see if they have any doc for that model. If they don't, you can head back to the JMRI pages and find lots of individual CV info here: http://jmri.sourceforge.net/xml/XSLT/pages/decoderIndex.html
Of course, getting an MS100 or better still a LocoBuffer (http://www.rr-cirkits.com /) and using JMRI's DecoderPro, as Jon suggested, is a more complete solution since it identifies the decoder of you and puts those CV's up on your computer screen in plain language to be saved, modified, etc.
HTH, Stevert
Mike
Search the NMRA web site for Dcc Recommended Practices. This will give you a list of all CV's and what they are for. The problem here is that a lot of CV's are manufacturer specific. The value in CV8 is a manufacturer ID. The NMRA web site should have a list of manufactures and their ID numbers. The value in CV7 is the software version number of the manufactures decoder software. Note this is not the model number of the decoder but the software version. Hope this helps
Stuart Sabatini Palm Coast, FL

brand/model

Here are the basics: CV01 (AD02) = 2-digit address CV02 = Vstart (starting voltage) CV03 = Acceleration momentum CV04 = Deceleration momentum CV29 = chooses speed steps, direction, 2- or 4-digit address, analog operation on/off
Paul A. Cutler III ************* What have you done to save r.m.r today? *************

Tony's Train eXchange (www.tonystrains.com) has pictures of most every deoder known to exist on their website. You should be able to recognize the decoder from that, if nothing else. A general rule of thumb is that Lenz decoders are not shrink wrapped, while Digitrax decoders usually are (tho' not all). They may even have the manufacturer or at least the decoder type printed on the decoder somewhere. I think all of the decoder manuals are available online. I know Digitrax' is, but then you got a book with your Z, right?
Paul A. Cutler III ************* What have you done to save r.m.r today? *************