4 function decoder

Hi all, If I use a bachmann 4 function decoder will this be able to change the day / night time running on a Hornby class 60 ( and bachmann 57 / 66 ) ( I am using the Bachmann e-z command unit ), also is there any programming involved or do I just press the function button. Kindest regards Simon

Reply to
Model Depot

In simple terms, no

Reply to
Piemanlarger

Hi Again, is it because I have the Bachmann controller, e.g. if I buy a Lenz controller I would be able to do the lights or is it because I need a different decoder ?

Also I am actually thinking of upgrading already to lenz, Is the L60090 Start Set 90 a good enough system or would I be better going for the L60100 Start Set 100. ( I would prefer to go for the set 90 as its cheaper but is the set 100 vastly superior ? ) I will be wanting lights and sound in the loco`s I think as John pointed out on a thread a while back that it is best to use DCC For loco`s and use normal wiring for point motors etc. I am re-building Copperfield Hill TMD with new track, but to the same design as before, so with the size of the depot would it be better / easier to use DCC for the points or the normal wiring ( there is about 12 points for the depot including entrance and three points for the station area, but I may scrap the station ).

Kindest regards Simon

Reply to
Model Depot

You could do this by fitting a small dpdt relay inside,they are available small enough. This would use two functions for the normal directional lights and the third function to switch over using the relay. You could use the fourth function to turn the tail lights off when coupled to a train with a second relay, or with some decoder brands this can be configured through the CVs. Depending on the default setting of the decoder the above may work without any programming. But if you really want to get into lighting effects and sound etc you need a DCC system that can set up the CVs, this is a major limitation of the Bachmann unit.

IMHO a better arrangement is to use a 6 function decoder so you can have all the 6 lights (red, day and night at each end) seperately switched like the real thing. Keith

Reply to
Keith

No, the four function decoder will control direction, forward and reverse and the main lights. You could go for a 6 function decoder or another 4 function just to control the lights which with some work you could use to bypass the switch, but it will get a little complicated. I suggest you join the yahoo DCCUK group and spend a couple of weeks reading posts and picking things up slowly.

Reply to
Piemanlarger

"Model Depot" wrote

The Set 100 is far more user friendly, especially if you have a large number of locos &/or you intend operating points using DCC.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I and many other i know use the 100 set, it is very good and if mine broke today, I would have another by tomorrow!

ok, its still under warrenty, but i would still have baught another set if it were not!

Reply to
Piemanlarger

The problem I have is trying to configure sound and lights in the same locos. I've installed an SWD system in a Bachmann 25, which uses also the F keys on my Roco Lokmaus. I don't have a problem with directional headcode marker lights, but it would be nice to switch off the tail light when hauling a train.

I presume that my using a Lenz 100 (or 90) control system, the number of F keys is increased, but there are more sounds available too.

Has anyone fitted sound and lights to a Bachmann loco ?

Regards Phil

Reply to
wyrleybart

Yes, seperate tail and headlights plus sound in class 20,37,47,66 so far.

Reply to
Piemanlarger

Hi "piemanlarger" Excellent - how many F keys do you use for this ? Are your tail lights switchable ? I would be quite happy having marker lights directionally controlled using the F* key to switch them on and off. I would like to use another F key to turn the appropriate end tail light off, after the loco has backed up on it's train.

I currently use a Roco Lokmaus2 which has F* and F1-F4 so I am already unable to use some of the sounds on the ESU decoder.

Can you please tell me / us which keys you use for the lights ?

Many thanks Phil

Reply to
wyrleybart

Ok with my South West Digital sound chipped class 37, the chip comes with

F0 Headlights on/off F1 Engine start up / shut down. F2 Short horn 1 F3 Short horn 2 F4 Double horn F5 Air brake F6 Buffer clash F7 Coupling clash F8 Engine idle F9 Fan F10 compressor F11 Tail light F12 Tail light

I am also fitting a bachman 4 function decoder to use as cab lighting, which i may convert to use to control the tail lights too, tis will give me two more sound options by freeing up F11 and 12, possably.

Reply to
Piemanlarger