Hornby HST - DCC Ready or DCC fitted?

Hi All,

I really like the look of the Blue and Grey Hornby HST that has just been released. I've had HST's since the 70's, but they aren't a patch on these!

I have a bit of dilemma, should I go for the DCC ready or the DCC fitted?

I have no DCC gear at all yet, but there is only £12 difference between the two at Hattons. I guess I should also ask whether the Hornby DCC decoder is any good or not?

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard Hewitt

"Richard Hewitt" wrote

DCC ready - if you're using analogue then you'll get better running qualities without the DCC decoder.

A standard Hornby decoder is only a tenner, so why pay £12 for one - or does the DCC fitted version have TWO decoders?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Do they go round first or second radius curves? ;-)

BTW if anyone's into bit torrent, TheBox has all the railway videos broadcast recently on BBC4, and many more. I just downloaded a video of a cab ride on a Eurostar, filmed in 2004 when only Stage 1 of the CTRL was in operation. Fawkham Junction to Waterloo International on 750V DC at a leisurely pace is most interesting. I was able to become a member at

with no problem; they frequently clear out dead wood.

Reply to
MartinS

A friend records *everything* off BBC4 (whether I want it or not) then posts it to me on DVD, often with a matching disc label and cover! One of the best programmes he sent me was "Monsoon Railway" which I've not been able to find anywhere else. I'd kill for a download of Channel 5's "Monster Moves" featuring the Scottish steam loco.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Hamlet ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Hmm, so one is paying a couple of quid to have the decoder fitted by the factory *before* the body is fitted, I suspect that many people will be happy to pay the extra just so they don't need to take any risks in removing the body even if they are competent to do so.

Reply to
Jerry

Monster Moves: Long Locomotive

Try

for about 6 minutes worth.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

The series was produced by a British company called :-

Windfall Films

1 Underwood Row London N1 7LZ Tel: +44 (0) 20 7251 7676 Fax: +44 (0) 20 7253 8468 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@windfallfilms.com

As Martin S said 'The Box' does have many videos ripped off the TV as does btjunkie.org

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

But they'll have to do that anyway when they realise how poor the Hornby decoder is.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Awww, it's only a 4-8-2, not a Bayer-Garratt or a Big Boy. ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

Polish up your weapon of choice, kim!

Reply to
MartinS

But they'll have to do that anyway when they realise how poor the Hornby decoder is.

MBQ

Do keep up, presume this is the new very good one :-)

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Thanks Chris. That's this year's Xmas presents taken care-of and they say Dutchmen aren't generous?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Got that version in MP4 with stereo sound!

(kim)

Reply to
kim

They're just as generous as Scotsmen and Yorkshiremen. They just don't throw their money around needlessly. ;-)

Reply to
MartinS

"Britain?s leading heavy hauler Andrew Goodman embarks on an epic one hundred day journey on road, rail and ocean to move a vintage 15F steam locomotive

7,000 miles from Bloemfontein in South Africa back to Glasgow, Scotland where it was originally built sixty years ago. *"

This one?

Reply to
Paul Matthews

So actually the only thing that was 'epic' about it was the time it took, lets face it, the loco's *original* journey out to SA would have been far more remarkable - typical modern dumbed down shit TV...

Reply to
Jerry

15F? Is that 3 times as powerful as a Class 5F?

What is the rating of the Beyer-Garratts?

Reply to
MartinS

"Paul Matthews" wrote

Is there now a major highway from southern Africa to the north of that continent, capable of carrying such traffic. Guess I'm a bit out of touch, but we contemplated such a trip about 30 years ago, and there was no continuous highway from north to south.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

No. It's still one of the great "adventures" doing Africa north to south with your Land Rover - with the added bonus of being barred entry, shot at or murdered for you car in several countries!

I suspect this engine will be taking quite a round-about route - a bit of "Palin" cheating... ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamends