DCC decoders

Hi folks,

Happy New Year TYA

Santa bought me a nice new Hornby R2382 Black 5 (Weathered) loco for Xmas and I am really pleased with it's performance. Makes my old fleet of Triang/Hornby stuff look a bit past it.

One little niggle though, the loco is supposed to be DCC ready which is nice for me as I have a LENZ Compact and a spare LE103XF decoder but there is precious little room inside the loco for a decoder of this size.

Does anyone have any idea what is the smallest decoder I can get away with (The loco is pulling 0.5/0.8A Unloaded/Loaded).

Andrew

TIA

Reply to
Andrew

use a TCS M1 or the newer MC2

Reply to
Makemineadouble

Is the 103XF the wired variety as DCC ready normally means a NMRA socket which means you'll need a decoder with a NMRA plug on the end of it.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Not an issue. The issue is the physical size of the decoder. When Hornby say 'DCC Ready' they mean it has an NMRA socket fitted between the loco pickups and the motor. What is DOES NOT imply, is that there is any physical room 'Under the bonnet' for a decoder.

As far as I can tell, having peeled the loco, is that the decoder must be less than 2mm thick and no larger than 16mm square!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

About the only one that qualifies would be one of the Trix Selextrix/DCC decoders made for N gauge.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

If the decoder is wired you can put it in the tender.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

As previously stated use either the TCS M1 decoder which is rated at 1.3 amps peak load or the newer and slightly larger TCS MC2 which has a 2 amp peak load. Both are available with a plug if you can't solder.

Reply to
Makemineadouble

In article , Andrew writes

The Black 5 is one of the easiest conversions to DCC - it was the first loco I fitted a chip to and it worked first time so it has to be easy.

I have used the Lenz LE1025E - it plugs straight into the socket noting pin 1 is towards the rear of the loco. There is plenty of room for this chip inside the smokebox of the loco where it slides in almost to the front and plenty of room for the wires above the plug.

Full details are in the October 2002 issue of Model Rail magazine - this is the article that gave me confidence to have a go.

You are right about performance and running - both truly excellent.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Moorhouse

So it does. It's the 91 Masterclass Edition. I still have the issue if anyone wants to buy it (£2.60 + postage). Sorry but I don't make copies.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

You could try ZTC at

they have a Hornby specific plug and play decoder.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I used an M1-UK in mine and plugged it in. It is a tight fit, but there's a gap where there is a taper between the boiler and the smoke box, where the capacitor used to sit. I basically bent the wires in such a way that the decoder itself sits more or less end on to the plug. I then put the top back on and no problem.

If anyone wants more info than I can post some photos or something but it's pretty straight forward.

Reply to
Michael Walker