Re: Auto lockout set

Reply to
Wayne's Locks

I use the z-tool system,

and a few other tools that make it easier on me including two slim jims. The book is lacking though for a beginner. I like the High Tech book and also the book that
puts out better than the one that comes with the tools. Z-tools are nice because they dont take up a lot of space and they're strong stainless steel that you can bend hundreds of times.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

What I have now is a mish mash of a couple sets.Pro-Lok 8 pc set, A cheaper set that I bought from HDC,and some tools I've made myself from 3/32 music wire.For a light, I have a SnakeLight and a fiber optic extension for my maglite. Ralph.

Reply to
Ralph Greenwood

If my interpretation of your comments correctly detects a lukewarm business commitment in this area, it may be worthwhile to define your annual business profit objectives and what it will take to reach them. Sully tools are the best as far as I am concerned

but if you are not going to actively promote auto lockouts as a substantial profit center within your business, or get the proper up-to-date hands-on training and experience, don't even consider buying any lockout tools. This is particularly true if your expected volume is only one call per week. The operating expenses, plus the time away from more profitable work, to service only 52 car lockout calls per year makes this activity economically unattractive. You would be better off referring the low volume/low profit work to someone else and devote your time to more profitable activities.

Dave

Reply to
SCHLOSSLOCK

Let's see.... 52 X $55 = $2,860 (and that's assuming they're all at day rates) That's nothing to sneeze at if you do it during otherwise slow times.

I probably average two a week. That's a little over five grand (again assuming they are all 8-5 weekdays - which they're not) a year. That's almost all net profit (after you pay for the gas and yearly updates).

Now, grant you... I only take car openings that are within ten minutes of me (usually), and only when it's slow, at that. But $8,000 or so a year (if you figure in some of them as emergency rates) pretty much makes it worth the expense.

bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

The only additional costs to doing auto lockouts is tools and training. The other overhead you mention is there whether or not you do auto.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Not sure who's message you were actually replying to.

If it was mine: As I stated, I only take lockouts if business is slow. In other words, I don't turn down commercial or safe work to lockouts (or residential jobs for that matter).

As far as... "cost per mile" As stated, I only take the ones that are close to me (usually three miles or less). It cost me approx. $ .67 / mile to operate my truck last year.

So how about... "insurance, rent, utilities, advertising, taxes, etc."? That has to be paid whether I do lockouts or not.

And... "the really profitable jobs that you missed while you were chasing after your weekly car lockout"? See above.

Yeah, if someone ONLY does car openings, and only gets one a week (or even one a day for that matter), they should consider another (more profitable) line of work. OTOH, as a small part of a much bigger picture, I can't see any logical reason to turn them down when time permits. Car lockouts are a _very_ small part of my business, but the profit on them makes them worth the (comparably) small investment I make to do them. The only real cost to do lockouts is yearly updates, gas, and negligible where and tear on the truck to go a couple miles and back if that.

Like I said you can't really count "overhead" against the income of lockouts alone, when those expenses have to be paid anyway. If I threw my lockout tools in the bay tomorrow, I'd still have to pay "insurance, rent, utilities, advertising, taxes, etc". After being in business for 15+ years, I do know my overhead and my ledger works out just fine.

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML