Vote for most useless tool

O.K. everyone. Lets have a vote for the most 'USELESS' damn tool you ever wasted your money on. I reckon the Dremel tool I bought 3 years ago, with 5,000 different attachments, and with cutting wheels that disintegrate the second you try to use them, is the most useless piece of crap I ever wasted a couple of hundred bucks on.

Reply to
Steve Paris

a sidewinder... 3 months after getting it, the 3 car dealers that SOLD the cars that they used, closed up, and move 200 miles away... used it one time in 6 years.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

You know, I'm going to have to take a week and think about this. I think it would be hatchet, axe, hammer, nail puller combination I got through a surplus house. It was billed as the wonder end all tool. I took it outside, and find it doesn't chop wood. Well, never mind that. I'd just bought three of them. Today I took them to the Volunteers of America (charity place, they sell used items to raise money to help the poor).

Second might be the Pittsburgh brand flare nut wrenches that I got from Harbor Freight. They were all over sized, and also soft metal. They just simply didn't work.

Don't you also love the cheap hacksaw blades that are so brittle that you can't put any pressure on them? I got some screwdrivers at the Dollar Store that snapped off.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

damn tool you ever

different

second you try to

a couple of

This kit (forgot the name) for drilling a hole so one could attack the latch itself to open the lock. then ya had to patch the hole. (a total waste of time and good $$'s) I was new to the trade at the time and fell for the sales pitch.

g'day all

Reply to
"Key

Reply to
George Richardson

Before I answer the question, let me make a suggestion regarding your dremmel. First, toss most of those attachments in a box. You'll never use them - at least not for our type of work.

Second, you're using the wrong type of wheel. If you're using the thin red ones, double them up and the won't shatter as easily. You're are better off, however, using the black "mesh" type cut-off wheels. They are (slightly) flexable. The only time I break those is when I'm not carefull putting the tool away. They will break in half if I catch them on something getting it out or putting it away.

Now... Most usless tool. Let me see....

Snake pick (for Adams Rite locks). I does work ***under _perfect_ conditions***, I've never gotten it to work in the real world.

Shim holders get an honorable mention.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

I've owned lots of useless damn tools. I think I'd cast my vote for the Black and Decker cordless electric socket wrench. It seemed like a good idea, but :

1) too bulky to fit in most spots. 2) too heavy to hold in awkard places 3) not enough power in the nicad batteries, only lasted about a dozen bolts 4) the battery was built in and not replacable.

But it was a present, so I used it till it stopped taking a charge, then quietly slipped it into the trash.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

I bought a GM pick for about $285.00 The Vats interrogator for about $450.00

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I like the red ones - but I learned to be *very* careful not to twist them in the slot they cut. They cut fast and through the hardest steel alloys - and make a beautiful shower of sparks. Since the Dremel is low powered, the thin cutting wheels help in cutting fast.

If you're in a hurry and or working under awkward situations, then Bobby's suggestion is the sensible way to go.

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

That's got to be those left and right angle offset 'ace' type lock picks that cost too much and never get used. I've never seen a left or right offset tubular ace lock, just plenty of the centered ones. If I ever do see one then the pick open still wont cover the cost of the tool.

Reply to
Glen Cooper

I remember that one. The only useful parts were the oversize roses and wooden tools with the h/d needles in them. What a pos.

Reply to
Unk

I had one of those strips of lexan with a plastic collar that was supposed to work on a frameless window by sliding it in to pull up a vertical lock button. I cant remember how much I got taken for, but it snapped the first time-Made my own out of some plastic shipping strap,a scrap of aluminum and music wire.

Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Greenwood

In my case, that would have to be rechargable drill. I make holes with mine, and also use it to turn screws. Yesterday, I was working on a house where someone had tried vainly to install a Schlage B162. Well, they got the lock in, but the strike hole was about 3/8 inch deep, and the strike plate was missing, and only the reinforcer held on with one screw. My good cordless drill (and a few years of skills) helped with that.

Next might be vise grips, but I'd have to think about that. Maybe pocket size screw driver -- it's with me when I need it. Or maybe Leatherman tool?

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Have to be the flat bar "Slim Jim" or "Lock Jock" car opening tool. I got so tired of people sayin "oh, just like the police" that I finally cut up my last Slim Jim for scrap. Anything I can open with a slim jim, I can open with some other tool, and avoid being compared to the cops.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

My rechargeable drill and router.

Reply to
Skip

This is strange thinking. There is nothing wrong with a Slim Jim just because others might misuse them, just like there is nothing wrong with a screwdriver just because some might use them as a pry bar.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Then HPC air wedge is probably the most useful tool I have. Johm Middleman,CRL.

Reply to
John

Mine popped the second time I used it. One of these days I am going to get a vinyl patch kit and try it again.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Try a store that sells water beds. They oughta have vinyl patch kits.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

I had the same problem. I now use a Pro-Lok one. It has been great.

Reply to
White-Knight