BEST "J"

Just wondering what the price would be for code-cutting a BEST J Blank. Let's say the guy is right next door-no trips-just cutting the key.

Just wondered. Later, Ralph.

Reply to
Ralph Greenwood

Well, first of all, I cut all Best keys on the 1200, so they're all code-cut. And I just upped my price on them to $6 ea. If I have to de-code the key first, (no charts) I add $5 for the first one (of each different key). Then add $ .25 each for stamping (A1, A2, etc.)

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

We charge $3.00 for a Best key, nothing extra to read it or stamp it.

Reply to
Will Ott

$6.50 & $3.00 for decodeing.

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

Seven or eight bucks. Those buggers like to flip out of the vise. You have to put a bent out paper clip along side the blank to get it to fit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Most (all?) Best codes are proprietary to the institution. There isn't a Best code book like you would find for Master padlocks, automotive, etc. The number stamped on the key or the face of the core won't be of any value other than to the person who set up that particular system.

If you know the depths, that's a different story. Don't forget that the convention for numbering pins on Best is backwards from what you're probably used to. Pin 1 is closest to the tip.

Best locks are a fascinating "good goods" mechanical engineering story, especially considering when they were first produced. Looking at the quality of Best hardware compared to what one sees in today's hardware stores tells the story.

[From one who gathered a lot of knowledge about Best locks in college, and I don't mean in the classroom. ;-) ]
Reply to
Jay Hennigan

Not when using a punch machine.

I use a Pac-A-Punch & can take it through a building on jobs much easier than walking back & forth to the van.

Newnsie

Reply to
UPUHRS5437

Thanks for the responses. I will not have any problems cutting a BEST key-I have worked around them for years. Perhaps I should better explain my predicament. At my other job, the union is planning to lease some office space. The union rep contacted me and asked me if I could cut a "j" (10 of them). He told me that the State of Indiana-who owns the property, is going to charge 15.00 a key-the state has a key control man right on the premises. I told him as long as he submits a written release from the key control officer, that I could do it. I told the union rep I charge 7.00 per key.

15.00 sounds kind of exhorbant for this -I think.

But thank You all for the input-And yes , I'm gettting the Pak-a-punch.

Reply to
Ralph Greenwood

it cost them a LOT less than $15 per key, HOWEVER, they got 'overhead' someone writes the PO, finds the one that approves it, gets it approved, and then submitted to the key cutter, who then cuts and delivers BACK to whoever order, who THEN delivers... too many people involved, and everyone has to be paid for time.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--