crystallization instainless steel

Stainless steels, and almost all metals, are 100% crystalline all the time except when they are molten. You may have degree of crystallization confused with grain (crystal) size, or the presence of more than one crystal phase, or partial recrystallization, or something else.

Reply to
C.D. Graham

"C.D. Graham" ha scritto ...

except when they are molten.

You are 100% right! :) ...but I said "...in a termally treated stainless steel...", in presence of partial recrystallization...

This is my problem: I have to mesure the recrystallized volume fraction.

Pasquale Ametrano

Reply to
LaGrecaColonna

"LaGrecaColonna" ha scritto ...

Sorry! :)))

Thermally, not termally...

Pasquale Ametrano

Reply to
LaGrecaColonna

Would the device described in this paper be useful for this purpose?

Research/BarkhausenJumps.pdf

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Sorry, here's a clickable version of the link:

Mark Thorson

Metallography or texture analysis. If yout material was 100% austenie prior to cold deformation and has transformed to martensite completly, it will retransform to austenite during recrystallization. You can then assume : %austenite = %recrystallized

Michael Dahms

Reply to
Michael Dahms

"Michael Dahms" ha scritto ...

...and I can measure %austenite by automatic analysis on micrographies of etched samples... Ok, but sometimes this is very difficult (or impossible), especially with low degrees of recrystallization.

Pasquale Ametrano

Reply to
LaGrecaColonna

Better by x-ray phase-analysis