Ferric Oxide....Question

Ferric Oxide is what is used on media storage devices such as cassette tapes. It is a ferromagnetic material. My question is, if I take a
very fine powder and mix it with a gel of some sort and expose this mixture to a very strong magnet, will this mixture emit a magnetic field? That is could a hall effect sensor detect the presence of this gel mixture? Thanks Lucas.
snipped-for-privacy@uiuc.edu wrote:

Yes, the ferric oxide is a permanent magnet material and will retain some magnetism after the strong magnet is removed. The field will be weak, but should be detectable by a Hall effect sensor.