Going price for Alum (not aluminum)?

I've heard that alum fetches a high price. Is this true? How is that possible, if it's so easy to synthesize? Where can I find a buyer, if I
decide to start production? What is the difference between alum and aluminum sulfate in terms of physical characteristics? Maybe I'm confusing the two compounds... Just curious.