Gold From Filter Feeders

Hmmm... that calculates to 2.7e14 dollars. $270 trillion. 5.4e12 barrels at $50 per.

I sorta doubt that.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

Again, what are Bernanke's options when the whole country is wired?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Math-immune!

John

Reply to
John Larkin

Assumption-immume!

! ! !

! ! ! !

(Lots of exclamation points keep our newsgroups morons happy.)

Anyway before anyone can do any calculations requiring the price of oil we'll need an answer the question:

What will be the "solution" to the financial "situation?"

Bret Cahill

This question's got me going, Won't someone set me right? Will Bernanke cut interest rates, Today or tomorrow night?

Reply to
Bret Cahill

If you think oil will remain at $50/bbl for more than a couple of years you ought to buy up some of these SUVs now being dumped on the market.

A smart young man like you could make a killing!

! ! !

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Geez, you don't do math, do you? That's why you have so many "ideas."

John

Reply to
John Larkin

The obvious answer is privatize, and let the people that bought mortgages that they _knew_ they couldn't afford, planning on riding the bubble and making a killing, go broke. You certainly wouldn't bail out some idiot who loses his life savings at the craps table!

But, that doesn't look like it's in the crystal balls - it looks like we're about to follow the former Soviet Union into collapse.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertarian

The revelation that the only thing behind any boom is the faith of the people, and the only real value in any currency (gold-based or not) is the faith of the people. The empty space in the art that is the economy, are the people that walked away.

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Recessions reflect nothing more "interesting" than a breakdown in communications. "Interesting" is in quotes because breakdowns in communications are the most interesting phenomena of all.

What most don't understand is freedom of communication far more fugitive, far more psychological than generally assumed.

Adam Smith should have treated the matter more thoroughly but his "invisible hand" was nothing more mysterious than free speech.

Someone asks, "hey, cool, where did you buy that?"

Supposedly Apple Inc. is hiring now. Jobs is better at the psychological component than most novelists.

Bret Cahill

"Psychology, the queen of sciences."

-- Nietzsche

Reply to
Bret Cahill

As any EE will tell you, there's more to applied math than mere calculations.

You obviously don't understand the basics of engineering if you don't think assumptions are all important.

The assumtion that Bernanke can allow unemployment to float with all the cheap communications technology out there just isn't credible.

Buffet came to the same conclusion using an apparently different analysis: The way countries get out of debt is to inflate their currencies.

So once again, what are the Fed's options?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

Borrow $270 trillion from the Iraquis?