Gold From Filter Feeders

As any EE will tell you, there's more to applied math than mere calculations.
You obviously don't understand the basics of engineering if you don't think assumptions are all important.
The assumtion that Bernanke can allow unemployment to float with all the cheap communications technology out there just isn't credible.
Buffet came to the same conclusion using an apparently different analysis: The way countries get out of debt is to inflate their currencies.
So once again, what are the Fed's options?
Bret Cahill
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:12:47 -0800 (PST), Bret Cahill

Borrow $270 trillion from the Iraquis?
John
Add pictures here
βœ–

Believe it or not this is reassuring.

"Thou knowest not gold's effect."
Act I Scene 2 _The Taming of the Shrew_ (1492)
Add pictures here
βœ–

The only organism that concentrates gold is Man. Do you really want to visit the curse of Midas on such lowly organisms? Gold is simply too non-reactive to bioaccumulate.
David A. Smith
Add pictures here
βœ–
dlzc wrote:

Several microorganisms accumulate gold _in_vitro_. It's still an open question whether certain ores are the result of microbial activity, though the evidence seems convincing.
http://www.nature.com/ismej/journal/v1/n7/full/ismej200775a.html
http://www.sciencewa.net.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id ‡6&Itemidg0
Add pictures here
βœ–

The concentration of gold in water near a fault line is high enough so that the byproduct pipe clogging scale from geo thermal plants can be processed for the metal.
The gold probably isn't profitable by itself without the geo plant.
To be sure all the other heavy metals will kill anything and everything over a period of time but all an organism has to do is stay alive long enough to concentrate some gold.
Bret Cahill

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:31:29 -0800 (PST), dlzc

<snip>
When I first saw the header to this thread, I thought "Gold from filter feeders" must be about lawyers!
Best regards,
Bob Masta DAQARTA v4.51 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis www.daqarta.com Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter FREE Signal Generator Science with your sound card!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 13:23:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@daqarta.com (Bob Masta) wrote:

It would have read, "Gold from bottom-feeders" surely?
Brian W
Add pictures here
βœ–

The successful ones are top feeders which is the real reason they'll generally try to undermine democracy, lofty statements about the tyranny of the majority, etc., notwithstanding. Without a top and bottom tort income drops precipitously.
No profession has been hit harder by cheap communications. The only growth field in law is intellectual property.
Bret Cahill
"The freedom of the press and the sovereignty of the people are, therefore, entirely correlative whereas censorship and universal suffrage contradict each other and cannot long coexist in the institutions of the same people."
-- DeTocqueville
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:38:54 -0800 (PST), Bret Cahill

That's the best news I've heard in a good while. All that engineering & science talent drained off to train for ambulance chasing. Too bad,
Brian W
Add pictures here
βœ–

Progress happens.

Many quit and retrain for the productive sector.
Bret Cahill
Add pictures here
βœ–