Material suggestion for brazing fixture, Please?

We braze tungsten carbide and ceramics at about 1500 F. We are looking for a rod we can use to move parts around at these
temperatures.
A rod maybe 10" long by " diameter (.250") that we can use to move parts around.
A steel file works fine but gets hot. We are using porcelain rods we get at a ceramics supply store but they are $3.75 each and snap readily. We had a tungsten rod recommended but a 7" long by 1/8" diameter rod was $8.25 at the welding store. Something cheap and strong enough not to snap too readily.
Thanks, Tom
snipped-for-privacy@carbideprocessors.com wrote:

Fused silica (or vitreious quartz or Vycor) is pretty immune to thermal shock and might hold up well for short term use at your temperatures.
In fact, such rods could hold up for years. YMMV.
snipped-for-privacy@carbideprocessors.com wrote:

You are thermally shocking your porcelain rods. A high silica glass would work very well, and if you can get porous rods they will be more resistant to thermal shock. Alumina or mullite tubes would also work well, and the given the nature of the tube, they also would be more resistant to thermal shock. Vesuvius sells rether inexpensive alumina and mullite tubes (mullite would be cheapest) and these should last a long long time and you be less likey to burn your hand from handling the rod.