General term for operations inside the material?

Is there a general term for tool operations where the cutting is done inside the material such a sawing, drilling, honing cylinder walls, etc?

Thank you Tom Walz

Reply to
Tom Walz

You mean like boring, hole saw, etc.? You're being a bit ambiguous.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Maybe, Internal?

Reply to
Lennie the Lurker

I've seen "ID work" used on occasion.

Jim

jim rozen

Sorry for the ambiguity

Brief background Coated carbide, Cermets and ceramics are superior to uncoated carbide in many applications however they are hard to braze. This means they can be used very successfully in "external" operations where there is room for mechanical clamping but cannot be used in "internal" operations where there is no room for mechanical clamping. One of our customers makes saw blades than have kerfs thinner than dimes, for example.

Anyway we developed technology to successfully braze cermets and some ceramics the same way you braze carbide. This means you can use them on saw blades, hones, drill bits, etc.

I have a report on research that Forintek

did for us and I am writing press releases about it. My background is material science and not machining unfortunately so my knowledge of processes and the language is largely theoretical. I worked my way through college on plant floors and I know how much the college guys don't know about how things get made so I was looking for help with the right term.

What I was looking for was a term to describe machining operations where a brazed part is required because there is no room to hold the tip mechanically.

Tom Walz

Tom Walz

Ah, then aside from the saws mentioned (many wood and metalworking sawblades are carbide brazed on a steel blade blank), boring bars are one application...

Tim

Tim Williams

Why not come at it from the other side and write "operations requiring permanently fixed cutting edges" or something similar? Bob S.

Reply to
Robert Scibienski

I like the concept and the phrase. Thank you.

We have a promotional adv. Campaign going with T shirts and coffee mugs. Email me your shipping address and we'll send you a present if you like.

Thanks again, Tom Walz

Reply to
Tom Walz

Tom,

Is my impression correct that your company is the only one currently brazing cermet/ceramic tooling? I'm thinking the optimum application because of the lack of mechanical clamping is in the small/micro type tooling, yes? If true, I think initially stating this type tooling is available, then expanding with details regarding different internal operations like pocketing, grooving, and boring would make sense.

Whatever you come up with, I would be interested in getting info when available, as I am in business cutting metal, etc.

michael

Reply to
michael

What's that Lassie? You say that Tom Walz fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by 28 Jul 2004 08:10:50 -0700:

Low clearance?

Reply to
dan