potable water pipes in the US

Hi all!

Can anyone tell me how common zinc plated steel pipes are for potable water applications in house installations in the USA? A qualitative answer like "hardly ever used" or "quite common" will basically do, since I need to know if zinc plated steel should be taken into account as a pipe material when constructing faucets and valves. If it is only a margin product, I will "ignore" it.

Thx a lot..

D.

Reply to
dave.lister

Galvanized pipe is "hardly ever" used in the Western US.

In February 2004, 214 contractors in the Western US replied to a survey by the Reeves Journal on choosing pipe materials.

See:

For potable water distribution systems, including new commercial and residential construction, service/repair, and remodeling, 81 percent of respondents said they most frequently install copper, 12 percent cited cross-linked polyethylene (PEX) as their main choice for these jobs and 5 percent prefer chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC). In addition, 1 percent indicated galvanized steel is their main preference for this type of job, and another 1 percent cited other materials such as black steel.

Pittsburgh Pete ________________________________________________________

DISCLAIMER

We don't believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Don't worry, be happy.

Reply to
Pittsburgh Pete

Pittsburgh Pete

Thanks .. I appreciate it..

Dave

Reply to
dave.lister

That is for contractors; DIYers tend to prefer CPVC-- quick, no special tools or dangerous torches, easy to cut out and redo when you screw up.

Reply to
Keith Michaels