Re: Another bad compact Fluorescent

wrote:

[Roger]
[hanson] Sylvania CFs and all the other makes, I know of, last for an average of 1.67 years. Their fat print says: "7 years of light" and "Life: 8000 hrs" which insinuates: 1 year at 24 hrs/day.... of use... ahaha.. Now go look at their "guarantee", the fine print, which says: "7 years is based on... 3 hrs/day per week" which amounts to a guaranteed burn time of 3*7*52*7 = 7644 hrs, that is roughly in line with use-burn time we have experienced. To me their value is in saving the cost of KWH use, which still out-saves their higher costs over the old incandescents.
OTOH during cold seasons the heat from the Incandescent bulbs lowers/augments the heating costs. But during A/C cooling the CF are or course an advantage.
My maintenance guys also tell me that a few of these CF twisters ended their life with a puff of stinky smoke. Saw the socket of one of the dead ones open and check which component of this rather ingenious circuitry burnt up. It's some great engineering mass production feat.
Now, what I am looking for are the next-gen of enviro illuminators the 120V-LED bulbs. Does anyone have any real use experience with said LED's? You can of course post your google experience too, instead, if you must and can't help yourself... ahahahaha...
Also I wonder what ever happened to the Hg-free SULFUR light? hanson

Hm, this just happened to come up recently in another discussion...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfur_lamp
And the Berkeley connection (a fairly old page): http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/sulfur-lamp-fixture.html
bob