Re: black mould in transparent silicone sealant

I think the mold is aspergillus

> niger, but I can't think why it should want to penetrate an apparently > nonporous substrate.

I doubt the mold is penetrating the substrate. I suspect the mold is secreting the coloring matter, which is being absorbed into the silicone. Among polymers, silicone ranks highly in permeability.

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Same here ! I tried coating it with toothpaste in the hope that the flouride would kill the fungus - but it either washed away or dried out and the black colour of the mould stayed ! Perhaps its specific to UK brands. My sealant was white.

Reply to
mullens

Try improving your ventilation or removing excess moisture...mold loves dark, damp areas.

Reply to
Mike D2

Silicone sealant, by itself, will not support the growth of mold or mildew.

The reason mold grows on sealant used in the shower is the soap film that builds up on the surface of the sealant - which does support mold.

The solution is to use silicone bath tub caulk. This is one case where the product is not simply a marketing driven re-label of standard silicone. Bath tub caulk contains a mildew suppressant that permeates the overlaying soap film and prevents the mold. It really works!

RT

Reply to
RThomp7367

Try using a decent caulking compound made for sealing tubs instead of silicone and sealing with the proper sealant after it dries several weeks.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Couger

Thanks, I have seen tubes of "caulk" - I'll check these out. Richard

Reply to
mullens