Restoring the Surface of Acrylic

Hi May i know what's the easiest way to restore the surface of a piece of acrylic that was previously milled?

Can i make it transparent again just by sanding or do must it be buffed? For the former what is the recommended grit size to start with?

Thanks.

Reply to
Philip

To smooth the cut edges of acrylic sheet, I have used sandpaper (coarse, medium, fine, very fine) and buffing compound.

It gives that professional look.

I last did it 20 years ago, though.

Reply to
jbuch

Bic lighter or torch just be careful not to burn it

Reply to
tfagan

There is a company, I think their trademark is "Micromesh" that makes papers and even finer sanding papers for just that.

TLM

Reply to
Tapio Manner

Do you have any idea how micro mesh compares with things like Novus plastic polish?

Reply to
Philip

If I recall their finest paper is something like 12000 "mesh", feels smooth. They have a series from coarse to fine, it was used on aircraft canopies and windows.

TLM

Reply to
Tapio Manner

You need allot of time, you start at 400 and work your way down to 8000. Great for watch faces or small areas, allot of rubbing.

Reply to
tfagan