Polishing Acrylic Surface Prior to Bonding

hi I need to bond two acrylic sheets at the faces (not edges) to make a thicker piece. As the acrylic sheets were milled, the surfaces were not
optically clear. Is it ok to polish (sanding/micro mesh followed by novus) the faces before solvent welding?
I understand that polishing is not recommneded for edge joining but i'm not sure if that applies for this case too. If internal stress buildup is a concern, can it be alleviated by annealing?
Thanks..

There are PMMA/MMA adhesives you may want to look at. Consist of 2 parts: polymer in monomer and initiator. I would think it may be simpler to buy thicker sheets. Frank
Frank Logullo wrote:

Thanks. I'm sticking two pieces out of necessity as the part can't be machined in one piece.

parts:
This may help: http://www.lucitel.com/faq.asp Lucite used to make the adhesives but apparently farmed them out. You can also cast some pretty large acrylic pieces yourself. Frank