Polishing Acrylic Surface Prior to Bonding

hi I need to bond two acrylic sheets at the faces (not edges) to make a thicker piece. As the acrylic sheets were milled, the surfaces were not optically clear. Is it ok to polish (sanding/micro mesh followed by novus) the faces before solvent welding?

I understand that polishing is not recommneded for edge joining but i'm not sure if that applies for this case too. If internal stress buildup is a concern, can it be alleviated by annealing?

Thanks..

Reply to
Philip

There are PMMA/MMA adhesives you may want to look at. Consist of 2 parts: polymer in monomer and initiator. I would think it may be simpler to buy thicker sheets. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Thanks. I'm sticking two pieces out of necessity as the part can't be machined in one piece.

Reply to
Philip

This may help:

used to make the adhesives but apparently farmed them out. You can also cast some pretty large acrylic pieces yourself. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo