theoretically the strongest concrete

Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

<snip>
I'll bet that the ancient Greeks & Romans experimented to find the strongest mixing ratios, so that its been known for 4000 years.
Mitchell Timin
--------------------------------------- "Many are stubborn in pursuit of the path they have chosen, few in pursuit of the goal." - Friedrich Nietzsche
http://annevolve.sourceforge.net is what I'm into nowadays. Humans may write to me at this address: zenguy at telus dot net

I think that this theory assume uniformity of the sand size/shape and aggrigate size/shape. As such, it is doomed to failure.

There is an entire profession devoted to the meticulous study of cements and concretes. Their publications cost hundreds, even thousands of dollars to equip oneslef with the library of technical specifications of cements and concrete formulas. There are catagories of high-strength and super-high-strength cements and concretes.
The specifications go well beyond the dry ingredients. The quantity of water is critical to the strength, the mixing time has maximum parameters after which the material's strength decreases drastically. Ambient temperatures have an influence, and especially the drying of the concrete is very much a factor in its ultimate strength. And all these things I am saying apply to Portland Cement-based concretes, which itself comes in a variety of types. (You will most likely find type I or II in your home improvement store in 94 pound sacks, but there are other types of Portland Cement.)
The adhesiveness of cement is a chemical property, and influenced by other impurities in the concrete. The dreaded ASR (alkali-silica reaction) is just one of a set of headaches which affect the longevity and structural strength of the concrete. The US patent office is full of clever inventions by people who have figured ways to add strength, or preserve it once it has been had. There are a bunch of patents related just to subject of adding fibers into the concrete to increase the strength.

You have countless variables - your problem is way too simple..
For example: one variable is the strength of the sand. Another is "Strength" what strength are you talking about? Compression Sand mix concrete can have a compression strength of say 6000 psi in one batch and just changing the amount of water makes the mix useless or maybe just usable.
How many brick does it take to build a house is a similar problem?
Aubrey Hutchison PE