theoretically the strongest concrete

This is very true. Alcoa used to make its CA-14 and CA-25 calcium aluminate cements at a U.S. plant. These are high purity cements, used mainly in refractories (furnace linings) -- a very different breed from your standard Type III Portland cement. Anyway, a couple of years ago, Alcoa decided to shut down U.S. production and make the stuff in Europe (Netherlands, I think).

I was working for a refractories company at the time and we had a few products which used CA-25 as a binder. The European stuff turned out to be slightly different from the American stuff in terms of workability and set time. If I recall correctly, it took slightly more water to get the same workability and had a significantly longer set time. There were also some small differences in strength. The end result was that, even though it was supposedly the same cement, we couldn't get the properties we wanted anymore, and we wound up having to reformulate our products with another manufacturer's cement. Eventually we moved away from cements altogether and switched to a phosphate binder, but that's another story.

The moral of the story is that, not only are there many different types of cements (varying proportions of alumina, silica, calcia, and other stuff), but the same cement varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and for the same manufacturer, from plant to plant. If that weren't enough, Portland cements often vary significantly from batch to batch. Obviously, depending on your application, these variations may not matter much. But Dave is absolutely right; you can't say that cement is cement is cement and leave it at that.

Then there are aggregates. Good luck finding a "uniform" grade of anything. At best, you can hope for 65-70% to be somewhere around the specified mesh size when you run a screen. Moisture content may vary from lot to lot, too; one week, we suddenly discovered that all of our test batches were taking a few percent less water than we expected. It turned out that one of the aggregates we were using came off of a barge which had been sitting uncovered during heavy rains.

Theory is great, but don't forget that it's always based on the rules which we've made up to help us conceptualize the real world, and that the "real" real world is often far more complicated.

Dave Palmer

(773) 955-2223 snipped-for-privacy@iit.edu

Reply to
Dave Palmer

I'm still betting that aircrete is stronger than those concretes taht use cement plus filler. but, what is your hypothesis on the "checkerboard" arrangment of the bubbles or rubble, compared to the closest-packing (Kepler) config.? even if you don't believe Hale's proof that it *is* the closest-packing (with the "hexagonal" closest-packing variants; there's another term for them), what possible "better" comes from the rectilinear stacking, which is definetly *not* closest-packed?

--les ducs d'Enron!

Brian Quincy Hutchings

There is an entire profession devoted to the meticulous study of cements and concretes. Their publications cost hundreds, even thousands of dollars to equip oneslef with the library of technical specifications of cements and concrete formulas. There are catagories of high-strength and super-high-strength cements and concretes.

The specifications go well beyond the dry ingredients. The quantity of water is critical to the strength, the mixing time has maximum parameters after which the material's strength decreases drastically. Ambient temperatures have an influence, and especially the drying of the concrete is very much a factor in its ultimate strength. And all these things I am saying apply to Portland Cement-based concretes, which itself comes in a variety of types. (You will most likely find type I or II in your home improvement store in 94 pound sacks, but there are other types of Portland Cement.)

The adhesiveness of cement is a chemical property, and influenced by other impurities in the concrete. The dreaded ASR (alkali-silica reaction) is just one of a set of headaches which affect the longevity and structural strength of the concrete. The US patent office is full of clever inventions by people who have figured ways to add strength, or preserve it once it has been had. There are a bunch of patents related just to subject of adding fibers into the concrete to increase the strength.

Reply to
Palaces For The People

You have countless variables - your problem is way too simple..

For example: one variable is the strength of the sand. Another is "Strength" what strength are you talking about? Compression Sand mix concrete can have a compression strength of say 6000 psi in one batch and just changing the amount of water makes the mix useless or maybe just usable.

How many brick does it take to build a house is a similar problem?

Aubrey Hutchison PE

Reply to
Aubrey Hutchison