Windfarms break energy record in Spain

Past three months saw windfarms produce more electricity than any
other source for first time, trade body says
Over the last three months wind farms produced more electricity than
any other power source in Spain for the first time ever, an industry
group has said.
The country delivered over six terawatt hours of electricity from wind
farms during January, according to data from grid operator Red
Electrica de Espana, the Spanish Wind Energy Association said in a
statement.
"Since November 1, wind has been the top technology in the electrical
system," the group said in a blog posting. "The last time any
technology exceeded six terawatt-hours of monthly generation was in
2010, when it was combined-cycle gas turbines."
The performance means wind energy exceeded output from both nuclear
and coal-fired power stations and represents more than a quarter of
Spain's total power generation.
Spain has been looking to boost its wind power capacity as part of the
government's efforts to cut carbon emissions.
The news came in the same week as German wind energy industry
association BWE said it expects developers to add between 3GW and
3.5GW of capacity this year, far outstripping the 2.4GW installed in
2012.
The surge in new capacity will be largely driven by new offshore wind
farms coming online and will mean the country remains on track to meet
its goal of generating around 40 per cent of its electricity form
renewables by 2020, up from about 25 per cent currently.
Reply to
Desertphile
Far right crackpot groups won't like this news !!!
Reply to
Transition Zone
ANY group will take note that this is NOT saving Spain from its economic implosion.
I wonder how long those things have to run before they pay for themselves ?
Reply to
Mr.B1ack
One thing is for sure. It gives them a lot less coal ash to inhale.
Reply to
Transition Zone
At least coal - bulky stuff that it is - generated more jobs for the average Jose'.
And besides, if collected, fly-ash makes a good ingredient for certain kinds of concrete. Roman concrete - that has held up for millenia - allegedly uses a lot of fly-ash, wood ash and volcanic ash in the mix. Modern cements start to go soft in a century ... some mixes even sooner.
Reply to
Mr.B1ack
There are mountains of fly ash and they are getting bigger, and are being used more and more in concrete and for other uses.

Reply to
emoneyjoe
Very wise. One mans 'waste' is anothers valuable raw material.
Fly-ash concrete hardens using a different chemistry than common Portland cement. The result is allegedly MUCH more durable.
FYI, the Egyptians also invented a kind of concrete, but it was based on yet another kind of chemistry, related to the high zeolite content of the mix. It also lasts - was said to have been used to smooth and patch-up the Sphinx in antiquity and is still there doing its thing. Maybe it's the ultra-dry climate ... or maybe the stuff really IS good enough to last 4000 years.
Maybe we're getting ripped off by the Portland cement-makers ...
Reply to
Mr.B1ack
No, it takes time to develop the formulas for using the fly ash, which was not available in quantity until scrubbers were added in the last 15 or 20 years.
Some power plants now have pyramids of fly ash covered with soil sides, bigger than the great pyramid on the base size. They are selling it, but so far sales have not kept up with production.
I think some contractors are using it for other things too, maybe fill under slabs or asphalt. I don't know if the price competes with sand or dirt, some fly ash is high in aluminum, calcium or glass.
Reply to
emoneyjoe
~50 years ago I worked on supervision of construction of an earth dam over limestone bedrock. the underlying bedrock waqs pressure groutedwith a mixture of portlnd cement, fly ash and water to provide a seal against leakage under the dam. I had holes drilled som 100 feet deep then installed re-bar to hold dial gages to chek for any uplift due to grout being injected under quite high pressure. It was very interesting to see how the grouting was carried out.
Reply to
Gerry Miller