Air tank cannons

I want to make a noisemaker air tank cannon by cutting off a tall O2 bottle. I don't want to fire any bowling balls, just create a loud boom for New Year, and 4th of July. Would it be better to use gunpowder or Acetylene/O2 mixture? I am considering of using an inflatable 99 cent ball to block the barrel, just charge it, insert the ball, inflate, and fire. Leave it hanging on a rack when not in use, and call it a bell, in case anyone should investigate the sound of the report.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Acet/O2. Its gonna be far cheaper to fire repeatedly.

And if its pointed upwards..really doesnt need the beach ball.

Black powder is about $20-25 a pound these days IRRC..which gives you about a 16-32 shots per can.

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

based on what a 30 gal trashbag full of acet and O2 sounds like, clear win for acet!

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Before you go to all that work, I would make one out of some 4 inch plastic waste pipe about 3 or 4 feet long. Thread a hole for a sparkplug and maybe use a microwave oven transformer for the high voltage. Fill it with acetylene and oxyget and put plastic wrap over the end and secure with large rubber band. You can put the microwave transformer close to the cannon and use a long extension cord so you are not close when you set it off. Should not take very long to make it and you can see if it is worthwhile to make something bigger. My guess is that it will be as loud as you want.

My current cannon is two inch plastic pipe about a foot long. And it is plenty loud for the grandchildren.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Many larger metro areas have sound listening equipment that can triangulate on a report to within a very small distance. In addition many metros have adopted ordinances which include air guns, bows, and even slingshots in their no discharge ordinances. Atleast one city I know even specifically includes vinegar soda bombs.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Light the torch, turn up oxygen till the flame extinguishes then fill an open topped 55 gal drum with the mix.

Use remote ignition and wear earplugs.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I'd suggest propane. One of those little benz-o-matic cans costs a couple bucks and can be mounted right on your weapon.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

50 years ago i stole a blasting cap, a 1/4 stick dinomite, and put it in a gallon can of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and diesel. The blast should've killed me.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Guess you're not familiar with nitrate and diesel process, then?

.

50 years ago i stole a blasting cap, a 1/4 stick dinomite, and put it in a gallon can of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and diesel. The blast should've killed me.

Karl

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I know they don't let teenage boys near this kinda stuff anymore.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

There's always somebody more adventurous.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

With good reason, I'm sure.

.

I know they don't let teenage boys near this kinda stuff anymore.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Don't fire that sucker too close to the house! That volume of Acetylene/O2 mix will create significant overpressure, could break windows if too close.

Empirical data: ignition of a 30-quart kitchen garbage bag filled with O2/ C2H2 mix didn't break any windows but it did knock garden tools off the wall of a wooden yard barn that was maybe 50 feet away. A tall O2 bottle will have aprroximately that volume of gas at atmospheric pressure.

I would strongly suggest grounding everything while filling to preclude static sparks, and then use electric (sparkplug or squib) ignition.

A friend of mine actually did make a bell or gong out of a tall oxy tank; cut the end off here at my house with my plasma cutter. When struck with a bonger, it makes a very satisfying and quite-long-lasting tone; it's a very high-Q resonator. Geez, if twanged with a charge of O2/C2H2 the thing may ring for quite a while!

Reply to
Don Foreman

A standard military cratering charge is (or at least once was) a

40-lb can of ammonium nitrate, which I'd guess would be about 5 gallons or so. C-4 it definitely is not, but it do make a boom!
Reply to
Don Foreman

Funny

Reply to