[AIR] Canopies in 1/72nd...Opinions Wanted

Hey.

I'm in the middle of conceptual work towards a "what if?" updated Douglas F-6 Skyray model using the Tamiya 1/72nd scale kit as a base. Most of the technological changes would be under the skin, so I don't have to replicate them as such--and my idea of replacing the wing guns with a single Vulcan, while interesting enough, is beyond my skills level. So the main thrust of this endeavor is the cockpit--and more importantly, the canopy covering it.

My hope is to replace the "razorback"-ish hood, afterfairing, and three-piece windshield with a bubble hood/wraparound windshield arrangement based on existing model kit hardware. That way it would be easy to find aftermarket parts, or order replacement parts from a kit manufacturer.

Likely candidates for the replacement "glass" include:

  • F/A-18 Hornet
  • F-15 Eagle
  • Mitsubishi F-2 (the Japanese F-16 derivative with the separate windshield)
  • Harrier GR.5/GR.7/AV-8B Harrier II

There are others I can use too...depending on availability. I tried a preliminary fit using the "glass" from an ESCI/AMT F/A-18A, and while in some ways it looks like it could work, I'm still somewhat leery. Anyway, I'm looking for a better option than the F/A-18 canopy. Anyone else out there have a Skyray and the other models to compare to? I'd really appreciate some opinion on this issue.

Thanks in advance. Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen Bierce

If you were working with the old Lindberg 1/48th kit, you'd have what you needed in the kit. It was necessary to paint the 'razor back' onto the clear part. :) Unfortunately I sold my last 1/72 F4D about a month ago and I can't test any of your candidates. My preference for looks would be the Harrier GR.5.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Stephen Bierce wrote:

Do something from the period; F3H Demon, or F11 Tiger. Failing that, make a whole new canopy for it and master and vacuform it yourself. No vacuform machine? Okay, now this gets tricky. You're going to need:

1.) A electric oven. 2.) A burner on the oven set to "medium-high". 3.) A pair of oven gloves. 4.) A balsa or Sculpy model of what you want the canopy to look like mounted on a piece of wire hanger sticking up from a big lock-wrench. 5.) A set of ping-pong balls from your local Walmart that come under that nice piece of transparent vacuformed plastic that is secured to the back cardboard sheet that says "Ping-Pong Balls - made in China - contains no lead - we swear, imperialist pigs".

Any other toys that are also stuck to back sheets by the vacuformed transparent plastic you'll be using for the canopy are also fine, but the ping-pong balls are made of cellulose, one of the earliest plastics, and burn really fast and neat when ignited; so it gives you play value as well as a canopy for your model for your 99¢ investment...but at the same time explains by demonstration why cellulose fell out of favor for clothing - as people wearing cellulose fiber clothing went up like incendiary bombs with even a spark...such as occurred to my late aunt when she was a child back in the 1920's, when cellulose clothing was all the rage. She survived that, but she never looked quite the same afterwards. As far as the Vulcan cannon goes, the Skyray was noted for being unstable in the yaw axis at high angles of attack due to its undersized vertical fin, and sticking a Vulcan and its recoil on it in any sort of asymmetrical manner is going to cause the plane to go into a flat spin when fired*. So stick it dead center on the bottom like was done on the modified F-106's that carried it:

pod mounted, or mostly internal, depending on what space you have in there after it gets modified and modernized. A good place to start would be the F5D Skylancer for ideas:
it had gone anywhere, it certainly would have been carrying Sparrow missiles in fairly short order, with a nose radar to match them.

  • Flying the Skyray:
    sure was a beautiful aircraft, one of my all-time faves for jet fighters, right up there with the Hawker Hunter.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery