Re: Typhoon and Thunderbolt bubble canopies

I vaguely recall having read that when the Hawker Typhoon cage type

> canopy was cut down and replaced with a bubble canopy the same type > bubble canopy was also used to convert the Thunderbolt. =A0Is this > correct? =A0If so it will be worth my while to do the same to the old > 1/32 Revell Typhoon and Thunderbolt. =A0They are cheap and big enough to > cut up and modify.

Hate to "burst your bubble", but this seems highly unlikely. The canopies might be somewhat similar, or even identical, but if so, this is purely coincidence. Both aircraft were converted to "bubble" canopies as engineered, production-line design revisions, not some kind of chainsaw field modification with leftover canopies. Thunderbolts were built in the US by Republic; Typhoons were built in England by Hawker. I doubt that they collaborated on the canopy design. Check your drawings before you go firing up your 1/32-scale Husqvarna - maybe they're close enough that it won't matter. I suspect the Typhoon has a more slender fuselage (and therefore narrower canopy) than the T-bolt, though.

John

Reply to
jthmpson

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Hi there.

If you do cut up the Thunderbolt can I get the 8 .50 cal wing guns from you?

Cheers from Peter

Reply to
TankBuilder2

The very first bubbletop Thunderbolt used Typhoon canopy hardware, so you sort of have your story backwards. Typhoon canopy -> Thunderbolt; then both Typhoon and Thunderbolt develop parallel production versions using similar canopies. The Typhoon kept the same windshield in both versions so I'm not sure if a Thunderbolt canopy would necessarily fit.

Stephen "FPilot" Bierce/IPMS #35922 {Sig Quotes Removed on Request}

Reply to
Stephen Bierce

The first bubble-top Thunderbold, the XP-47K, was created by cutting down the fusilage decking of an early P-47D and installing a Typhoon bubble canopy. The bubble canopy used on the production Thunderbolts was a different design.

Reply to
Mike

Unless you just wanted to spend money on a T-bolt, you could just get the vac Typhoon bubble canopy from Squadron................

Reply to
frank