Glueing canopies

Hi Modellers,

The best way to glue canopies without «smog» them?

White glue? Plastic Glue?

Many thanks and happy modelling José Luis Sintra - Portugal snipped-for-privacy@netcabo.pt

José Luis da Silva

It depends on "when" you attach windshield and canopy.

If you attach everything before painting I suggest plastic glue as it doesn't fog. If you attach both after painting white glue is usually better than superglue, because it doesn't fog (even if the join is more weak).

I usually make models with open canopies so I glue the windshield with plastic glue (Tamiya) before painting (so I can fill, sand and polish any gap), then after painting I add the canopy, with either white glue or plastic glue: side-opening or sliding canopies can be glued with white glue, while rear opening ones (such as F-14. MiG-29 and so on) need something stronger, so I scrap some of the paint with a blade (of course only in areas that would be hidden by the canopy once glued) and then use plastic glue.

I won't use superglue as it can fog. It can work if you use only small amounts of superglue, but sometimes it fogs anyway.

My 0.02

Yuri Rambelli

Reply to
Yuri