Bubble Flare

Bubble Flare:

I think this is what I want, but I'm not sure. I need to put some kind of flare/bulge, on the end of .375 x .035 6061-T6 tube. So I can attach a 3/8" vinyl tube, using ear-clamps or crimp ferules ( if I can get a crimping tool into the space ). This will be used at 50-psi Max.

All of the bubble-flare tools I've found are metric. I've found kits that will do single/double flare, GM fuel line, & ISO bubble.

From looking at the tiny pictures I've seen, a bubble flare, looks like a double flare without the final plunge.

What I want may not be called bubble-flare, which is why I can't find it. I've seen this type of flare on air-conditioning lines & oil coolers.

I'm also thinking I may need to anneal the tube to prevent cracking.

Thanks in advance, for any words of wisdom.

Gary,

Reply to
Gary A. Gorgen

Had a tool to do that in the aircraft maintenance shop, but it's been a few years and I don't remember what it's called! Kind of like a tubing cutter in reverse. Outside set of rollers with a center groove, little roller that went inside the tube and pushed out the bead.

"Tubing beader"??

Any A&P mechanics here that know the proper name?

Bill

222 86068 body

Had a tool to do that in the aircraft maintenance shop, but it's been a few years and I don't remember what it's called! Kind of like a tubing cutter in reverse. Outside set of rollers with a center groove, little roller that went inside the tube and pushed out the bead.

"Tubing beader"??

Any A&P mechanics here that know the proper name?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Marrs
< snip >

Actually, I am a A&P mechanic. :-) I now remember that tool. Been 40 years since I've seen one.

"Tubing beader" is it. THANKS!! First hit on Google, turned up a neat tool.

Thanks again, gary

Reply to
Gary A. Gorgen

If you want to cheat, and its OK to have the bubble at the very end, you can use a standard brake-flare tool and only do the 1st operation (the one that creates the bubble).

PS you can also use this method to create bubble flares with a standard brake-flare tool. After you make the bubble, you run the cone down just a skosh to flatten the 1st part of the bubble (the part closest to the end).

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

According to Gary A. Gorgen :

So -- try a double flare tool, and don't complete the plunge. That might do it.

I don't know what the other followups may say, as they appear to not be visible on the news server which I am using.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols